Pathway to Adventure Council Community,
News reports have begun to circulate reporting that the National Council of the Boy Scouts of America (“National BSA”) is considering filing a Chapter 11 bankruptcy, which facilitates reorganization under US bankruptcy law.
National BSA have said that they are exploring options regarding a financial restructuring, but no imminent actions or immediate decisions are expected right now.
Your Pathway to Adventure Council (“Pathway”) and National BSA are separate legal entities and neither is legally liable for the debts of the other.
We want to assure you that Pathway is in a good financial position; we have built a sound balance sheet, maintained a robust endowment, and have no external or internal debt.
Here are a few facts about Pathway:
- Pathway is a 501(c)(3) entity incorporated in Illinois just three years ago, which enjoys the benefits of a 108 year heritage.
- Pathway holds a charter to conduct the Boy Scouts of America programs in our defined territory that encompasses 1,661 square miles across two states.
- Pathway offers quality program to more than 18,000 youth in 16 districts, has diverse and inclusive community representative leadership from the top down, 7,000+ dedicated and registered youth protection trained volunteers, and a talented and committed staff.
- Our camp properties (Owasippe Scout Reservation, Camp Napowan, and Camp Lakota), our Service Centers, and our bank funds are Pathway owned and controlled. Camp Betz has been donated for our use.
- We pay fees to National BSA as a part of our charter agreement, and for specific services and the support they provide back to us.
- We subscribe to or participate in National BSA developed or sponsored insurance programs, information technology services, and training and expertise related to camping, youth protection training, and screening. We fund our employees’ benefits, such as healthcare and retirement, through programs that are controlled and operated by National BSA, but we are not aware of any reason why a financial restructuring of National BSA will negatively impact the retirement assets.
- Your gifts to Pathway stay in Pathway.
We believe that Pathway’s future is bright and exciting! We expect our programming will go on uninterrupted, and with your continued support, we will continue to offer Scouting to an expanding group of truly remarkable young people.
We hope that National BSA can navigate the difficult waters facing it. Our focus is and will remain on bringing high-quality and safe programs to the youth in each of the neighborhoods we serve.
Thank you for your continued support, help, and leadership.
Yours in Scouting,