Dear Cultural Advocates,
King County Executive Dow Constantine and Council are deliberating on a plan to implement the state’s Cultural Access Program through councilmanic action, which is a majority vote of the council. They aspire to increase county funding by $90+ million for science, heritage, and arts programs through the Doors Open program. Doors Open is about cultural equity. The program aims to provide every King County resident–especially those in under-resourced communities and outside of Seattle–with equitable, transformative access to science, heritage, and arts programming. It will be game changing if we can get the majority of council member to vote in support. To achieve this, we need your help!
We are now less than two weeks from the first potential vote of the Doors Open program! We are so grateful for all of you and your incredible advocacy that has gotten us to this point. We are approaching the finish line and need your voice now more than ever! This email includes three very important ACTION ITEMS for you to complete before Thanksgiving and the calendar of the final 30 days of the Doors Open process.
1. Send an email to your King County Councilmember by clicking here. The template letter is completely editable, and we urge you to add a few sentences about why Doors Open is important to you and/or your community to personalize your message. If you have already written to your Councilmember, we need you to write again to demonstrate your ongoing support.
2. If you live in Auburn, Bothell, Redmond, or Bellevue, please send a separate email from your inbox expressing your support to your local representative who serves on the Regional Policy Committee. You can use these template letters to draft your own.
· Vice Chair, Auburn Mayor Nancy Backus: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Redmond Mayor Angela Birney: email@example.com
· Bothell City Councilmember James McNeal: firstname.lastname@example.org
· Bellevue City Councilmember John Stokes: email@example.com
3. Forward this Action Alert email to your networks of cultural supporters and encourage them to complete these two action items.