Amendments to the Builders’ Lien Act including the introduction of Prompt Payment were presented last week. BILD Alberta has been active on this file since it was originally brought forward by the previous government. While there is support for enhanced protections for trade and supplier members, the legislation in its current form will unnecessarily add additional costs and administrative burden to member companies. We have created a dedicated webpage providing background and resources on Prompt Payment. Stay tuned for a webinar in mid-November focused on Prompt Payment.
Immediately following the release of the legislation BILD Alberta sent a letter to Minister Glubish expressing disappointment and recommending modifications. Our central focus is on extending the Prompt Payment period beyond a calendar month so companies are not forced to substantially modify accounting practices.
Prioritizing Changes to City Charters and Off-Site Levies
Through BILD Alberta’s advocacy, amendments related to Off-Site Levies and City Charters are being considered by the provincial government. We have been communicating the importance of expediting these changes as many municipalities have begun reviewing their Off-Site Levy Bylaws.
Red Tape Reduction
BILD Alberta sits on the Associate Ministry of Red Tape Reduction’s Construction Panel. In collaboration with other industry representatives, recommendations to the Associate Minister were finalized earlier this month. The highest priority items identified for land development and residential construction include:
- Significantly modify powers related to Off-Site Levies under the Municipal Government Act and City Charters.
- Remove references to Building Code from City Charters.
- Establish a formal process to appeal Building Code interpretations to create consistency across the province.
- Remove all references to Inclusionary Housing from City Charters and the Municipal Government Act.
- Re-instate legislated approval timelines for building / development permit applications with municipalities and installing a deemed approved status when timelines are not met.
- Significantly improve Water Act and Public Lands Act approval timelines.
- Significantly improve Ministry of Transportation approval Timelines.
We look forward to working with the Associate Minister Grant Hunter and Government Staff on next steps.