- Eligible projects must be designed by an AIA member of AIA Oklahoma built anywhere in the world.
- Residential Projects can be designed by an AIA or Associate AIA member of AIA Oklahoma.
- Only Architects or Intern Architects in good standing with The American Institute of Architects Oklahoma Chapter may submit entries.
- An individual submitting an entry must have designed the project or been a member of the project team who executed the project.
- An entry executed by a Joint Venture shall be eligible if any member the Joint Venture is an AIA or Associate AIA member of AIA Oklahoma.
- Only projects completed after January 1, 2015 are eligible.
- Previously honored projects in other AIA state or regional, or national awards are eligible but projects previously honored in an AIA Oklahoma Awards program are not eligible.
Large Commercial Architecture
Commercial Architecture projects over $10 million.
Medium Commercial Architecture
Commercial Architecture projects between $5 - $10 million.
Small Commercial Architecture
Commercial Architecture project under $5 million.
Single family home or multi-family projects
Projects involving primarily the design of interior spaces.
Structures and other placemaking elements within an urban environment that create distinct public spaces
Projects involving the preservation, restoration or rehabilitation of older structures. Projects must remain historic in character.
The renovation and reuse of an existing structure for new purposes
This year’s specialty category:
The special category is a category that will showcase various project types and will rotate each design awards cycle.
K-12 and Higher Education projects
The AIA Oklahoma Design Excellence Awards jury from the Boise, Idaho area and will be comprised of three noted architectural professionals representing different states of practice- experienced, mid-career, and emerging.
The jury may make any interpretations necessary to carry out the intent of the competition: to recognize the highest quality and achievement in architectural design and honor the creativity of Oklahoma architects. Entries will be judged on the success with which the project has met its individual requirements, overall design quality, and its achievement of excellence in one or more of the following:
A project that displays significant sustainable design attributes and makes intelligent use of available resources.
A project that displays excellence in its use of materials or in the use of a particular material.
A project that displays excellence in overcoming a technical challenge – i.e. structure, MEP systems, site, or envelope.
A project that elevates user experience through spatial interpretation of programmatic goals and regulatory requirements.
A project that makes much out of little – space, budget, other constraints.
A project that responds to and relates with its context.
A project that applies new and better solutions that meet new requirements or unarticulated needs.
AIA Oklahoma uses a paperless, digital submission entry.
All entries must include:
1. A pdf presentation derived from a template provided by AIA Oklahoma that includes up to 10 pages depicting the project in with a
of 4 photographs, 2 drawings, and one text slide.
2. Identification forms in Word format.
3. Up to 6 high resolution project images, a selection of which may be used during the Awards Ceremony and / or for publication and publicity.
Submission details will be sent to entrants no later than July 19, 2019.
The AIA Oklahoma Design Excellence Awards Dinner will take place on Friday, November 1, 2019 at the Devon Tower in downtown Oklahoma City. Cost to attend the awards dinner is separate from the registration fee for entering the Design Excellence Awards competition.
Fees & Deadlines
A non-refundable registration fee of $150 is required for each entry into the AIA Oklahoma Design Excellence Awards.
Your entry form and fee must be received by the Chapter Office no later than July 19, 2019.
Detailed Submission Requirements will be sent to entrants no later than July 19, 2019. Final submissions will be due no later than 11:59 p.m. on September 13, 2019.
Questions regarding the AIA Oklahoma Design Awards Program should be submitted in writing to