COVID-19 cases in NJ reached 3,479 this week with a transmission rate of 1.2. NJ has the 8th most COVID-19 deaths per capita in the United States as of Monday, May 2nd. Of the 8.46 million people eligible to receive the vaccination, more than 6.86 million have been vaccinated with 7.78 million in the state having received their first dose. The FDA stopped the use of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine after reviewing the data on risk of life-threatening blood clots.
On May 4th NJ's single-use plastic bag ban went into effect with plastic bags, paper bags, and styrofoam products (cups, plates, and to-go containers) no longer being permitted. Non-grocery stores and retail stores will still be permitted to provide paper bags. To learn more about the law and exceptions to the ban, click here.
On May 5th, Governor Murphy held his much-delayed inaugural ball at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ. It has been more than 4 months since he was sworn in for his second term as Governor. The black-tie event was held outdoors as NJ continues to fight the COVID-19 pandemic with an attendance of about 1,000 people.
This week, public hearings on the State's Fiscal Year 2023 budget continued in the Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee and the Assembly Budget Committee. Departmental and agency hearings will continue on throughout the next week:
Tuesday, May 10th Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee, 1st Floor, Committee Room 4, Annex:
- 10:30a Department of Human Services/Medicaid;
- 1:00p Department of Children and Families;
- 2:00p Department of Banking and Insurance;
- 3:00p Department of Corrections/State Parole Board
- Wednesday, May 11th: Assembly Budget Committee, 4th Floor, Committee Room 11, Annex:
- 10:00a Department of Corrections/State Parole Board;
1:00p Department of Community Affairs
- Thursday, May 12th Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee, 1st Floor, Committee Room 4, Annex:
- 10:30a Revenue Update (Office of Legislative Services);
- 11:00a Revenue Update ( State Treasurer)
- 1:00p Department of the Treasury and Interdepartmental Accounts/NJ Economic Development Authority/NJ Board of Public Utilities
The Legislature will reconvene regular committee meetings beginning Monday, May 9th.