Changes to SA waste levy collection from 1 December 2021
- Daily cover: a 10% daily cover deduction on waste levy payments will apply to landfills required to use daily cover.
- Waste fill: the $0 levy on waste fill will be removed, meaning the full applicable solid waste levy rate applies to disposal of waste fill.
- Operational use: operational use of waste at waste disposal facilities will attract the solid waste levy unless it is approved in writing by the EPA or undertaken in accordance with the EPA published Approved Operational Use Standard (currently being developed).
- Stockpiles: stockpiling at waste disposal facilities which is in contravention of applicable EPA licence conditions will attract the solid waste levy.
- Penalties: lower penalties will be prescribed for default on waste levy payments which are self-reported by the licensee to the EPA, or where the EPA is satisfied that all reasonable and practicable measures were taken to prevent the default from occurring.
Cleanup Symposium - Emerging Contaminants 2021
Join the industry’s brightest minds to share the new research, best practice and cutting-edge ideas that are driving change and influencing policy – in areas such as microplastics, pharmaceuticals, PFAS and COVID wastes.
Global Symposium on Soil Biodiversity
The main objective will be to fill some critical knowledge gaps and promote discussion among policy makers, food producers, scientists, practitioners and other stakeholders on solutions to live in harmony with nature, and ultimately, achieve the SDGs through the conservation and sustainable use of soil biodiversity.
QLD DES Organic Waste Action Plan workshop
The Queensland Department of Environment and Science (DES) is developing an Organic Waste Action Plan (Action Plan), which will identify key actions from avoidance through to improved end-use management and market development opportunities.
WRIQ Industry Tour
WRIQ has coordinated an industry tour of key infrastructure assets in South East Queensland. Participants will be taken on tours of landfills, organic recycling facilities and container exchange points Book now
EPA Victoria New Laws Webinar
Victoria's new environment protection laws are intended to commence in July 2021. In December 2020, the Victorian Government released the proposed final versions of the regulations and the environment reference standard (ERS) to support this legislation when it comes into effect.
A webinar was held on February 4 2021exploring these changes
Waste Tracker Webinar
EPA Victoria's new waste tracking system, Waste Tracker, will help businesses who transport certain types of waste. Hear about the key aspects of new laws and see a preview Waste Tracker on Tues 23 Feb.
Ginger production almost doubles in compost trial aimed at improving soil and boosting yields
A 2017 trial using cured compost, processed poultry manure pellets and clean seed almost doubled ginger production in a test plot. Researchers with Queensland's Department of Agriculture and Fisheries are investigating ways to increase organic matter to improve soil health and boost yields for the ginger industry.
$43 million of food wasted in past month
It is estimated that over $43 million-worth of fresh Australian fruit and vegetables have been left to rot or replanted due to the dire worker shortage facing Australian agriculture.