Since 2011, the
has sponsored a student paper competition open to any full-time, college student enrolled in a floodplain management related field. Three finalists are invited to present their papers at
annual national conference, which will be held in
Cleveland, OH on May 19-23, 2019
. The goals of this program are to encourage student engagement in floodplain management topics and to identify talented individuals with the potential to make lasting contributions to the floodplain management body of knowledge.
Any full-time student enrolled in a floodplain management related field at any college or university is eligible to submit. The related fields include, but are not limited to, engineering, geology, geography, planning and public administration (see below for suggested topics list). Papers may be written by a team of students, but only one scholarship will be awarded to each of the top three teams, and only one person will be invited to attend the conference as our guest to present the paper.
Submission Process and Competition Timeline:
- Abstracts should be submitted by Jan. 12, 2019 as a PDF file to ASFPM Chapters and Foundation Coordinator Gigi Trebatoski at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Abstracts will be reviewed by an ASFPM Foundation panel and three semifinalists will be invited to submit a full paper. Students will be notified by Feb. 1, 2019 whether they have been selected.
- Semifinalists' full papers will be due by April 12, 2019.
- The three semifinalists will receive up to $1,000 for travel assistance to make their presentations at a special student session during the conference on Tuesday, May 21, 2019.
- Papers and student presentations will be judged by a panel of floodplain management experts. Winners will be announced at the awards luncheon on Thursday, May 23, 2019.
- First Place: $1,000 scholarship; Second Place: $500 scholarship; Third Place: $250 scholarship.
Learn more regarding paper requirements and topics of consideration
2018 Collegiate Student Paper Competition in Phoenix, Arizona
Learn more about past student papers and competition winners