The health and safety of the people at ASPIRO has always been our highest priority so we were saddened, albeit not surprised, when we had an individual test positive for COVID-19 this week. We immediately executed a protocol to minimize the risk of spread and consulted with the Brown County Health Department for guidance. They spoke highly of our comprehensive and thoughtful approach.
Health experts agree that a multi-layered approach including social distancing, symptom checking, mask wearing, and cleaning and disinfecting are the best way to impede the spread of COVID-19. These measures will play a critical role in keeping us safe in the weeks and months to come. ASPIRO has taken its duty very seriously and invested in both high and low tech solutions to protect our people.
Some of the things we have done
· Rearranged our work stations and programs to ensure that social distancing of six feet or more is possible for every person
· Provided masks to every program participant and staff member
· Limited group size to 10 or fewer
· Began monitoring the temperature of every person entering our building
· Purchased enhanced PPE including face shields, masks, and protective clothing
· Limited visitors and volunteers at all our facilities
What’s up next?
· Starting next week we will have new technology, a Meridian scanner, at the entrance to both our facilities. These scanners combine temperature taking with facial recognition and will be used in conjunction with hand held non-contact thermometers to ensure that anyone showing signs of a fever will be identified as soon as possible when they come to ASPIRO.
· We are now using a Check Mate electrostatic cleaning system (see the picture below) from Canberra Corporation that is used to disinfect surfaces, including our lockers, every day.
Our commitment to keeping you informed
When we had our first positive case this week we notified our ASPIRO community via e-blast and posted information to our website. We will continue updating you on any COVID-19 related news via our website
While we can’t prevent COVID-19 from touching our lives, we are learning to coexist with it. Part of that is acknowledging that there is risk inherent in every activity we enjoy outside of our own homes. ASPIRO will continue to do its absolute best to mitigate that risk so the people we support can join us and live a rich and fulfilling life.