October 21, 2019
Last year, the Community spoke up.
Since then, City Council has taken steps to ensure that the Official Plan reflects our vision of Community Responsive Growth Management.
That means, a city built with Residents' values at the forefront.
Here's what's been done, now we need your voice:
- Paused development through the Interim Control By-law;
- Put a spotlight on the Downtown Policies, once the Adopted Official Plan was returned from the Region for other areas of non-conformity;
- Delivered an Engagement Plan to include as many voices as possible in this important conversation about the future of the downtown;
- Issued a background document, “Taking a Closer Look at the Downtown: What You Need to Know,” so you can be informed about the decisions we are making together;
- Coordinated many Citizen Engagement opportunities across the whole city to shape the way our downtown grows;
- Clearly heard how to preserve, protect, and promote what matters to you most about the downtown;
- Prepared two concepts of what the downtown could look like in the future.
It's your turn to shape the future of Downtown Burlington.
Here's what you need to do:
- Mark your calendar for the must-attend Drop-In Working Groups (Action Labs) to tell us what you like and don't like about the two concepts;
- This Wednesday, October. 23rd - 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. or 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. at Lions Club, 471 Pearl Street, Burlington.
- Next Saturday, November 2nd - 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at Mountainside Recreation Centre, 2205 Mt. Forest Drive, Burlington.
- Sign up and complete the online survey CLOSER LOOK AT THE DOWNTOWN these responses will be used for Council decision on the final concept;
- Plan to attend the Downtown Walking tour, so you can see with your own eyes, how the concepts will look like in the downtown context;
- Get in touch, email me if you have any questions or concerns and follow my social media for real time updates and notices.
CALL TO ACTION!
It is so important, right now, to share, engage, get loud, lean in, connect with community, and make your voice heard on the Downtown Official Plan.
This is the LAST opportunity to be directly involved and collaborate in this re-examination.
Next steps bring the focus back to Council and Staff:
- Project team presents the recommended concept of the downtown to City Council (this is YOUR feedback that will be presented from the above opportunities.)
- Council to decide on recommendation. Here, the public can speak to / delegate to Council at City Hall. This is very close to final approval, and there is a real chance that changes at this point cannot be supported.
I know we will continue to work diligently with respected values, trust, and community strength to create a city for residents that we can be proud of.