S.723, SC's Hands Free bill, is STILL ALIVE.
Please Take Action Again,
by Feb. 3rd.
S. 723 was carried over today
Senate Transportation Committee.
This stalls the bill, but it doesn't kill it.
Find your Senator in this committee list and
urge him/her to
work through differences
expressed in committee.
- Senator Grooms (Berkeley)
- Senator Rankin (Horry)
- Senator Malloy (Darlington)
- Senator Peeler (Cherokee)
- Senator Bennett (Dorchester)
- Senator McElveen (Sumter)
- Senator Kimpson (Charleston)
- Senator Bright Matthews (Colleton)
- Senator McLeod (Richland)
- Senator Leatherman (Florence)
- Senator Verdin (Laurens)
- Senator Campsen (Charleston)
- Senator Campbell (Berkeley)
- Senator Hembree (Horry)
- Senator Kevin Johnson (Clarendon)
- Senator Sabb (Williamsburg)
- Senator Climer (York)
- The amended bill, as adopted by committee, for first offense is $50 and no points on a license, and for second offense is $300 and 2 points on a license. Infraction threshold is "reasonable suspicion" which is strong, and the compromise could be "probable cause".
- Here are details of the bill, which prohibits motor vehicles drivers from using their hands for texting or phone calls, without a hands free device. A similar bill in the house is also known as the Distracted Driving or DUI-E bill.
- Get regular Hands Free bill updates from this FB page.
- Connect with similar legislative initiatives through PCC's Legislative Page.