San Juan Mountains Wilderness Act Introduced
A glimmer of hope for wilderness! Sen. Michael Bennet (D-CO) introduced the San Juan Mountains Wilderness Act, which would protect nearly 61,000 acres in southwest Colorado.
After years of discussion between recreational and environmental organizations, local businesses, and county and city governments, this legislation would:
- Expand or establish wilderness
- Ensure management protections for other areas
- Include a 6,590 acre mineral withdrawal, which would prohibit future mineral development
Our Colorado Broads, especially the Northern San Juan and Grand Junction Broadbands, were strong voices in the collaborative effort and are thrilled with the prospect of earning protection for these iconic wild lands.
Please thank Senator Bennet and ask your senators to co-sponsor this bill.
This Act has not been introduced in the House yet. Please reach out to:
1. Rep. Scott Tipton (D-CO, District 3) and other Colorado representatives to ask for the bill to be introduced.
2. Contact other state House representatives to ask for their support of this legislation.
More Info and Talking Points