Several of you have reached out in follow up to the Franklin County Health Department’s announcement today recommending that schools in the county start in a remote format. We are participating in discussions with the county this week to understand further the drivers of that decision and whether they affect our plan for returning to school in person at the end of August.
Right now, informed by guidance from medical and public health experts, we continue to work on plans and strategies for operating school in person responsibly and in ways that manage and mitigate the risks of COVID-19. I remain hopeful that the work we have done and the plans we have already developed -- owing to our smaller size, large physical footprint, and the incredible dedication of our faculty and staff -- put us in a favorable place relative to many schools in the county.
Still, as with today’s announcement from Franklin County, the nature of the COVID-19 situation nationally and locally will require us to process each new development and to understand what it means for our community and our plans. We will be doing that in the next several days and I will share back with you any updates.