64/264 Interchange Detour Planned as Project Nears Milestone
VIRGINIA BEACH –
The Virginia Department of Transportation is providing early notice of a major detour and traffic shift as work advances on the I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Phase I project.
As soon as early January, the project will be ready to shift traffic onto a new I-64 west ramp and a new I-264 east collector-distributor road serving Newtown Road. To make the traffic switch, a full weekend detour will be required for traffic traveling from I-64 west to I-264 east, as well as for I-264 east traffic traveling to Newtown Road.
- The detour for the I-64 west ramp to I-264 east (Exit 284B) will direct traffic to take the next exit (Exit 284A) and continue to ride the interchange cloverleaf ramps until they exit to I-264 east from I-64 east.
- The detour for Newtown Road (Exit 15A) will direct traffic to Witchduck Road (Exit 16) and back to Newtown Road via Virginia Beach Boulevard.
While this shift will move traffic to new pavement and bridge structure, motorists should not expect a noticeable change in traffic conditions, as portions of the project, including additional lanes that will add capacity when the work is complete, remain under construction.
More detail for these detours will be shared when the work is scheduled. The fixed completion date for the I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Phase I project is scheduled for October 2019.
In addition, motorists should be aware of the following upcoming traffic impacts scheduled in the project corridor:
- The City of Virginia Beach will close Greenwich Road at Witchduck Road from 7 p.m. Friday, Dec. 7, until 5 a.m. Monday Dec. 17. All businesses and residences on Greenwich Road and Business Park Drive will remain accessible via the western end of Greenwich Road via Newtown Road. For more information, click HERE
- Newtown Road south will be closed under I-264 from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 8. Traffic will be detoured to Center Drive. The detour will resume Monday, Dec. 10, from 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. The utility relocation work requiring these southbound Newtown Road detours is scheduled to be completed by Dec. 12.
- Center Drive: The left turn onto Center Drive from Newtown Road north is closed for utility relocation work at Newtown Road. Motorists are also restricted from turning left out of Center Drive onto Newtown Road north. Signed detours are in place for both movements. These detours are scheduled to be lifted by Dec. 13.
- The following interstate lane closures are scheduled for the following week:
- I-264 west outside right lane near Newtown Road: 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. Dec. 10-14
- I-264 west inside right two lanes Witchduck Road to Newtown Road: 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. Dec. 10-14
- I-264 east outside right lane near Newtown Road: 8 p.m. to 5 a.m. Dec. 10-14