Ag Innovation Update-June 2017
Alternative Protein is a Growing Market in the Food Arena
AURI is seeing much more activity in the alternative protein arena thanks to significant innovations in food products. This is a global trend recently explored by Lux Research who reported that "the demand for alternative proteins, beyond fish and meat...will grow at 14 percent annually by 2024." Many food innovators are exploring new formulations to impact the existing protein supply chain. Total protein demand will double to 943.5 million metric tons in 2051, according the new report.
The report indicated three primary protein sources (soybeans, pea and oat) are poised to dominate the space. Additionally, lupin, chickpea, fava bean, flaxseed and hempseed are high- protein next generation opportunities.
AURI Food Safety Resources
The topic of safety in the production process is of the utmost importance to any entrepreneur or business that is developing food for commercial sales. Foodborne illnesses are a preventable, underreported public health problem, which place a burden on consumers while negatively affecting a company's sales and brand.
The Agricultural Utilization Research Institute (AURI) offers a variety of resources to help avoid common food safety issues
New Entrepreneurial Funding Opportunity from Farm Bureau
American Farm Bureau Federation is offering $145,000 in startup funds to applicants of the Rural Entrepreneurship Challenge to make their dreams a reality. The Challenge is the first national business competition focused exclusively on rural entrepreneurs with food and agriculture businesses.
Six best-in-show winners will each be awarded $10,000. Categories include:
The application closes June 30, 2017.
- Best Farm Startup
- Includes farms, ranches, hydroponics, aquaponics, greenhouse production, forestry
- Best Local Product Startup
- Includes food and non-food products
- Best Agritourism Startup
- Includes farm-to-school programs, pumpkin festivals, farm stays
- Best Farm-to-Table Startup
- Includes CSAs, food hubs, farmers markets
- Best Ag Tech & Support Services Startup
- Ag tech includes hardware and software ideas. Support services include marketing programs, scouting services, and other services targeting farmers.
- Best Craft Beverage Startup
- Includes breweries, wineries, cideries, distilleries
AURI Seeks Communications and Events Specialist
AURI seeks a services contract for a Communications and Events Specialist from July 15, 2017 to June 30, 2018. This position located at AURI's Crookston or Marshall Offices or a virtual office.
The ideal candidate will hold a University degree or equivalent in graphic design, communications, public relations or related area. More details on the position are available here.
To be considered for this position, submit a cover letter and resume by July 5, 2017. Include a design portfolio and writing samples. Email the position materials to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ag Innovation News: Subscribe Today!
Where do you go to learn about the latest news about renewable energy, coproducts, biobased products and food science? If your answer didn't include the Ag Innovation Newspaper, then you have been missing out on important updates from around Minnesota. Contact us today at
to get your free, quarterly subscription to AURI's official publication. Each issue contains useful and interesting information, like:
- News from Minnesota's ag industry
- Updates on the latest technology and idea implementation
- Information on how AURI is fostering economic benefits for the state
- A special column from the Executive Director
Agricultural Utilization Research Institute | 800.279.5010 |
Foster long-term economic benefit for Minnesota through value-added agricultural products.