For successful land reform to take place, there must be innovative support
There is broad consensus that South Africa's land reform programme has fallen short of expectations due partly to lack of well-timed, co-ordinated and effective measures to support new farmers. Access to tailored seasonal finance, fair and equitable access to markets and supply chains, effective government regulation and management of standards, input supplies, and on-farm and off-farm infrastructure (such as roads and silos) all form part of a holistic set of post-settlement support measures that have to be delivered at the right time and place to give land reform beneficiaries a fair chance to succeed. Please click here for Agbiz chief economist Wandile Sihlobo's article written for and first published in Business Day
Top business risks for 2019
The eighth Allianz Risk Barometer is the biggest yet, incorporating the views of a record 2 415 respondents from 86 countries. The annual corporate risk survey was conducted among Allianz customers (global businesses), brokers and industry trade organisations. It also surveyed risk consultants, underwriters, senior managers and claims experts in the corporate insurance segment of both Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty (AGCS) and other Allianz entities.
AGCS is the Allianz Group's dedicated carrier for corporate and specialty insurance business. AGCS provides insurance and risk consultancy across the whole spectrum of specialty, alternative risk transfer and corporate business.Please click here to peruse.
SADC releases report on regional agro-processing value chain
A need has been identified amongst SADC member states for the development of agro-industries in the region to enhance intra-regional and export trade, industrialise local economies, grow rural enterprises, create new job opportunities, and address rural poverty. The focus of the high-level value chain assessment was to conduct an analysis and assessment of 12 broadly-defined categories of value chains, identified during the inception phase of the assignment. The Interim Report demonstrated how the methodology was followed and applied to fulfil the assignment and Deep-dive Value Chain Analysis. After the high-level value chain assessment, the team presented to, and consulted with, national and regional stakeholders at the SADC Industrial Week (SIW) in Windhoek, Namibia. The 12 broadly-defined value chains were agreed upon and the consulting team selected a total of 13 product-specific value chains to be further investigated in an in-depth analysis. Please
Africa-Europe Alliance: European Commission committed to a sustainable African agri-food sector
Task Force for Rural Africa
has delivered its
, an agri-food and rural agenda for the new '
Africa-Europe Alliance for Sustainable Investment and Jobs'
unveiled by President Jean-Claude Juncker in the 2018 State of the Union.
According to the recommendations of this Task Force, comprising a group of African and European experts, Africa and the EU should develop a partnership operating at three levels: people to people, business to business, and government to government. It would institute a multi-stakeholder dialogue at all levels, starting locally, and enable a closer connection between African and European societies, business communities and governments. Mariana Purnell, general manager of Agbiz Grain, elaborates in the
Agbiz/IDC Agribusiness Confidence Index improves marginally in Q1 2019
After declining to the lowest level since 2009 in the last quarter of 2018, the Agbiz/IDC Agribusiness Confidence Index improved by 4 points in the first quarter of this year to 46. While the improvement in sentiment is a welcome development, the Index remains below the neutral 50-point mark, implying that agribusinesses are still downbeat about business conditions in South Africa. The survey was conducted between 28 February and 15 March and comprised agribusinesses operating in all agricultural subsectors across South Africa. Agbiz chief economist Wandile Sihlobo elaborates in the
South Africa could have a good winter crop harvest in 2019/20 season
The takeaway messages in Wandile Sihlobo's note on South African agricultural markets this week were:
- South Africa's 2019/20 winter wheat production season will commence in a month's time. We believe that there could be an uptick in wheat, and other winter crops plantings, due to favourable weather outlook, and relatively competitive prices.
- The South African government and the Livestock Industry are engaging a number of South Africa's traditional beef export markets in an attempt to resume trade following a temporary ban after the outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease early this year. The outcome of this process will not only have an impact on trade revenue, but also on the domestic meat price inflation path, and thereafter overall food price inflation. At the moment, we still maintain that South Africa's food price inflation could average around 5% this year.
- In addition to the aforementioned points about South Africa's meat price inflation path, beef and sheep slaughtering activity are important data to keep an eye on. Figures for January 2019 paint a mixed picture.
Bayer announces new leadership team in Africa
The next level of leadership for the commercial operations of Bayer Crop Science in Africa was announced recently. The appointments will be effective July 1st. "The new team will take the lead in bringing best-in-class innovation and sustainable solutions to our customers across Africa," said Klaus Eckstein, Cluster Division Head Africa.
The team is:
- Kobus Steenekamp, currently Monsanto Commercial Operations Lead South Africa, will be appointed as Country Commercial Lead (CCL) South Africa, based in South Africa.
- Pieter Smit, currently Monsanto Marketing and Product Management Lead for Africa, will be appointed as Head of Customer Marketing Africa, based in South Africa.
- Stephen Nel, currently Bayer Head of External Sales South Africa, will be appointed as Head of Market Development Africa and Small Farmers, based in South Africa.
- Mamati Tembe, currently Bayer Country Commercial Lead (CCL) Southern African Countries, will remain in her position, based in South Africa.
- Laurent Perrier, currently Bayer Senior Bayer Representative (SBR) North Africa and Country Division Head (CDH) North West Central Africa, will be appointed as SBR and CCL East Africa, based in Kenya.
- Laurent Perez, currently Bayer Country Commercial Lead (CCL) West Central Africa, will remain in his position, based in Ivory Coast.
Meet the new voice in agriculture
In a statement, the Western Cape Department of Agriculture announced that "it is with abundant gratitude and bittersweet emotion that we have to say goodbye to the voice of
, formerly known as
, Dr Chris Viljoen." Chris's career in radio dedicated to farmers, spans nearly 50 years! His dedication, perseverance and passion for getting the stories that matter out to the agricultural sector are the memorable traits that will always remind us of the legacy he leaves behind. Standing on the shoulders of this giant, is the new voice of
, Eloise Pretorius. Eloise is a seasoned radio presenter with many years at OFM in the Free State under her belt and more recently, a familiar voice on the local Smile FM radio station. Coming from a farm, Eloise has a very soft spot for agriculture and cannot wait to get to know the people behind the sector. Eloise, qualified as a journalist, is eager to start investigating the stories which will both inform and educate agriculture's clients.
radio programmes can be downloaded
FAO free e-learning courses
The FAO offers several free e-learning courses that cover a wealth of topics in the areas of food and nutrition security, social and economic development and sustainable management of natural resources. Browse the course catalogue to learn about the full range of courses.
1. Sustainable Development Goal indicators
2. Food and Nutrition Security Analysis and Policies
3. Monitoring, Evaluation and Impact Assessment
4. Communication and Capacity Development
5. Agricultural Risk Management and Resilience
6. Gender and Social Analysis
7. Child Labour and Youth
8. Climate Change, Adaptation and Mitigation
9. Responsible Governance of Tenure
10. Food Safety
11. Right to Food
12. Agricultural Statistics
13. Trade, Markets and Investments
14. Crop Improvement
15. Animal Production and Health
16. Nutrition and Food Systems
- How to conduct a Nutrition Situation Analysis
- Food loss analysis case study methodology
- Building a common vision for sustainable food and agriculture
- Improving Nutrition through Agriculture and Food Systems
- Nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods: Basic concepts
- Agreeing on causes of malnutrition for joint action
- Food Composition Data
- Nutritional Status Assessment and Analysis
17. Information Management and Knowledge Sharing
18. Rural employment, decent work and migration
19. Geospatial Data for Land Monitoring
20. Humanitarian Coordination
21. Responsible Investment in Agriculture and Food Systems
for more information.
Keeping it Fresh
, the FPEF shares recent and relevant news and developments in a summarised format.
Update on the NAMC's latest projects
The first edition of the
is now available. For the latest news on NAMC projects, please
Latest news about agricultural trusts
is a monthly report that is produced by the National Agricultural Marketing Council (NAMC) through the Agricultural Industry Trusts Division. The publication aims to communicate developments as they happen around the different agricultural trusts. Please
IFC / Agbiz Water Efficiency in Agri-processing Workshop
The International Finance Cooperation (IFC), member of the World Bank Group, and the Agricultural Business Chamber, Agbiz, invite you to take part in a workshop dedicated to water efficiency in agri-processing. This event is an opportunity for various groups of stakeholders, including private companies, sector associations, development partners and policymakers, to discuss the issues and challenges related to water use that the sector is currently facing. IFC and Agbiz are also inviting to discuss regulatory aspects of water use, and ho sustainable water use could be incentivised through policy measures and collective action. Each session will include a presentation by the session leads, followed by case-study presentations by industry and a panel discussion.
Date: 25 March 2019
Venue: Grain Building Auditoiurm | Pretoria
The Produce Marketing Association (PMA) with the Israel Trade Office will be showcasing some of the most innovative technologies and solutions in the fresh produce industry.
25 March 2019
27 March 2019
28 March 2019
Mail & Guardian Land Reform
28 March 2019 | Glenhove Conference Centre | Johannesburg
NWU Precision Conference
4 April 2019 | North-West University
| Potchefstroom Campus
Sustainable Agriculture Summit Africa 2019
11-14 April 2019
| Mövenpick Hotel and Residences | Nairobi | Kenya
Global Cherry Summit 2019
25 April 2019
| Monticello Conference Center | San Francisco de Mostazal, Chile
SA Large Herds Conference
3-5 June 2019
| The Boardwalk
| Port Elizabeth
2019 Cannabis Conference
Theme: The big business of cannabis
27-28 June 2019 | Emperors Palace Convention Centre | Johannesburg
13th Agribusiness Africa Conference
10 July 2019 | Premier Hotel | OR Tambo Airport
PMA Fresh Connections: SA Conference and Trade Show
30-31 July 2019 | Century City | Cape Town
Agbiz Grain 2019 Symposium
14 August 2019
CSIR International Convention Centre | Pretoria
19-21 June 2019 | Kenyatta International Conference & Convention Center (KICC), Nairobi
Why join Agbiz?
- Agbiz is the only organisation that serves the broader and common over-arching business interests of agribusinesses in South Africa.
- Agbiz addresses the legislative and policy environment on the many fronts that it impacts on the agribusiness environment.
- Agbiz facilitates considerable top-level networking opportunities so that South African agribusinesses can play an active and creative role within the local and international organised business environment.
- Agbiz research provides sector-specific information for informed decision-making.
- Agbiz newsletter publishes members' press releases and member product announcements.
THIRD-PARTY WEBSITE LINKS TO THIS NEWSLETTER
The Agbiz Newsletter may contain a few links to websites that belong to third parties unrelated to us. By making these links available, we are not endorsing third-party websites, their content, products, services or their events. Agbiz seeks to protect the integrity of its newsletter and links used in it, and therefore welcomes any feedback.