One Chicago Square: Tower Crane Dismantling
On Monday, August 30, Power Construction will begin dismantling the tower crane at One Chicago Square. During the crane removal, State Street, from Superior Street to Chicago Avenue will be closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic.
The project is expected to take 10 days to complete (weather dependent).
Gold Coast Art Fair
The Gold Coast Art Fair will be held in Butler Field on Saturday, August 21 and Sunday, August 22 from 10am-5pm.
During the event, there will be restricted parking at the following locations:
- Jackson, from Columbus to LSD
- Monroe, from Columbus to LSD
- Columbus, from Jakson to Monroe
St. Clair Water Main Project
By late-August 2021, the Department of Water Management (DWM) and Reliable Contracting & Equipment Company crews will begin to install 1,552 feet of 8-inch new water main in N. St. Clair Street, from E. Superior Street to E. Illinois Street. The old water main dates back to 1880 and needs to be replaced to create a more reliable and efficient system.
Automatic Email Updates
To receive automatic email updates about the progress of the project, please go to BuildingANewChicago.org to register. Simply enter your name, email address. You will be notified as the project enters each new construction phase – from our mobilization of equipment onto the site, to the installation of new pipes, to the final restoration of the street.
What You Need to Know During Construction
- Traffic: If DWM needs to close or limit traffic during construction for safety reasons, you will always be able to reach your home or business. Outside of working hours, a travel lane will be left open for local traffic only.
- Parking: DWM will post “No Parking” signs as needed during work hours (generally 7am-4pm). Parking outside of those hours will be allowed, but cars will need to be moved by the start of the next workday. They will try to preserve as much parking space as possible.
- Service transfers: DWM will give you 24-hour notice when they will have to temporarily interrupt water service to transfer water to the new main and you will need to start flushing your water system. However, in the event of an emergency shutdown during construction, they may not be able to give you prior warning.
Should you have any questions or concerns please call:
- 24-Hour City Service and Information Line: 311
- DWM Office of Public Affairs: 312-744-6635
On Sunday, August 29, Lifetime Fitness will hold the Chicago Triathlon. During the event, the following will be closed to vehicular access:
Lower Wacker, from Jackson to LSD (5:00a.m. to 11:40a.m.)
- West Wacker, from Franklin to Lake Shore Drive (6:30a.m. to 11:30a.m.)
- Columbus, from Balbo to Roosevelt (8/27 at 1pm to 8/29 at 7pm)
- NB Randolph exit ramp off LSD to Dusable Harbor Parking Lot (8/28 at 11am to 8/29 at 1pm)
- Southbound lanes Lake Shore Drive, from Randolph to Hollywood (8/29 at 5am to 2pm)
There will be amplified sound from 8am to 2pm. A certified sound technician will be in-place for the duration of live sound, monitoring decibel levels, and adjusting as necessary. The speakers will be on Columbus, between Balbo and Roosevelt facing east, away from residential buildings.
Lower Lake Shore Drive Concrete Work
On Monday, August 23, from 9:30am to 5:00pm, all northbound traffic lanes on Lower Lake Shore Drive will be closed for concrete work. At 5:00pm on August 23, one northbound lane on Lower Lake Shore Drive will be opened to traffic and the other two lanes will remain closed for three weeks.
On Wednesday, August 25, from 8pm to 10pm, there will be a boom lift at 160 North LaSalle Street. During the lift, the following will be closed:
- 100' of sidewalk in front of 160 N LaSalle Street
- 100' of curb/traffic in front of 160 N. LaSalle Street
There will be flaggers and barricades on-site throughout the lift.
Jane Byrne Interchange Overnight Work
Overhead sign structure work on SB 90/94 near Madison is scheduled for Saturday night. This is expected to produce moderate noise. All activities are weather dependent and are subject to change.
Crane Lift: 1 East Superior Street
On Saturday, August 21 and Sunday, August 22 from 8am-6pm, there will be a crane lift at 1 East Superior Street. During the lift, the following will be closed:
- Sidewalk on the east side of State, from Superior to a point 100' south thereof
- Curb/northbound traffic lane on State, from Superior to a point 100' south thereof
- Median on State, from Superior to a point 100' south thereof
- Curb lane on the west side of State, from Superior to a point 100' south thereof
Two-way traffic will be maintained at all times. Northbound traffic will be pushed to the southbound lane, and southbound traffic will be pushed to the curb lane on the west side of State Street.
The will have flaggers and barricades in-place throughout the lift.
Fifth Third Bike the Drive 2021
On Sunday, September 5, from 5am to 1pm, the Fifth Third Bike the Drive 2021 will be held on Lake Shore Drive.
During the event, Lake Shore Drive, from Bryn Mawr to 57th Street will be closed. Bikers will occupy all of the NB/SB lanes with vehicle access retained at I-55. The start and finish is at Jackson and Lake Shore Drive. Lake Shore Drive will reopen at 11am.
Peoples Gas Modernization Project: Gold Coast
Peoples Gas will began Phase 1 of their Gas Main Modernization Project in the Gold Coast. Work hours are 8am-5pm, Monday - Friday. Phase 1 of their project has the following parts:
- Install new main on Lake Shore Drive, from Michigan to a point 1,200' east thereof. This portion of Phase 1 would start in August and last 25 days.
- Install 200' of new main in the intersection of Oak & Michigan. This includes crossing the eastern pedestrian tunnel. This portion of Phase 1 should start in mid-September and last 10 days.
- Install 450' of new main on the west side of Lake Shore Drive, from Oak to Cedar. This includes crossing the northern pedestrian tunnel. Work should begin in early October and last 17 days.
Please stay tuned to Reilly Reports for future updates regarding this project.
LG Construction: 751 N. Hudson and 451 W Chicago
In mid-August, LG Construction will break ground at 751 N. Hudson Avenue and 451 W. Chicago Avenue, which are adjacent parcels. Work hours will be 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday.
Throughout the project, the following will be closed:
- Sidewalk/curb lane/traffic lane of the east side of Hudson, from Chicago to the first alley south thereof
- Sidewalk/curb lane/traffic lane on the west side of Sedgwick, from Chicago to the first alley south thereof
- Sidewalk/curb lane on the south side of Chicago, from Hudson to Sedgwick
There will be a protected pedestrian walkway in the curb lane on the south side of Chicago Avenue, from Hudson Avenue to Sedgwick Street.
This project is expected to take 18 months to complete (weather dependent).
Filming in the Ward This Week
Chicago PD will be filming a bank robbery and police chase scene with simulated gunfire at 328 South Jefferson on Monday, August 23 and Tuesday, August 24. During both days, from 9:00am to 4:00pm, there will be a full street closure on Van Buren, from Desplaines to Clinton and on Jefferson from Tilden to Jackson. In order to park essential vehicles, parking will be prohibited at the following locations:
- Both sides of Jefferson from Tilden to Jackson
- Both sides of Van Buren from Clinton to Des Plaines
- Both sides of Des Plaines from Tilden to Adams
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Patrick Muldoon (Location Manager) at 773-277-8044 or Curtis Lehmkuhl (On-site Coordinator) at 312-725-9754.
Surina & Mel
Surina & Mel will be filming at 100 W. Kinzie on Sunday, August 22. This is a comedy show filming exteriors on Kinzie Street. In order to park essential vehicles, parking will be prohibited at the following locations:
- Both side of Columbus, from Jackson to Congress (base camp)
- Both sides of Kinzie, from LaSalle to Dearborn (August 22 from 8am to 9pm)
- Both sides of Wells, from Kinzie to Illinois (August 22 from 8am to 9pm)
If you have any question or concerns, please contact Christopher Scott (Location Manager) at 773.983.0190.
On Tuesday, August 24, Chicago Med will be filming an intimate conversation on the BP Bridge in Millennium Park. In order to park essential vehicles, parking will be restricted at the following locations:
- South side of East Randolph, from North Stetson to North Field (Monday, August 23 at 3:00pm to Tuesday, August 24 at 3:00om)
- South side of Lower Lower East Randolph, from Lower Loser North Stetson to Lower Lower North Columbus (Monday, August 23 at 3:00pm to Tuesday, August 24 at 3:00om)
- East side of North Columbus, from North Randolph to 200 North Columbus (Monday, August 23 at 3:00pm to Tuesday, August 24 at 3:00om)
If you have any questions or concerns, please call Edward Eberwine III (Location Manager) at 312-841-7695 or Bobby Demakis (On-site Coordinator) at 224-588–2037.
On Tuesday, August 24, Delahoyde Projects will be filming exterior shots at 200 South Columbus Drive. In order to park essential vehicles, parking will be prohibited at the following location:
- 136-190 S Columbus Dr, west side of the street only (from 8am - 6pm)
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Katie Johnston-Smith (Producer) at (412) 480-6575.
42nd Ward Resurfacing Repairs
The Chicago Department of Transportation will be resurfacing the following streets in July and August (weather dependent):
- Westshore Drive, from South Water Street to Benton Place (7/26- 8/23)
- Benton Place, from Field Boulevard to Westshore Drive (7/26 - 8/23)
- Randolph Street, from Field Boulevard to Harbor Drive (7/26 - 8/23)
- Rush Street, from Chestnut Street to Pearson Street (7/29 - 8/27)
- Ontario Street, from Wabash Avenue to Michigan Avenue (7/29 - 8/27)
- Rush Street, from Hubbard Street to Kinzie Street (7/29 - 8/27)
Wacker Drive Repainting Project
In late-July, the Chicago Department of Transportation began repainting Lower/Middle Wacker Drive, from North Field Boulevard to Lake Shore Drive. Work hours will be 8am-8pm, 6-days a week.
CDOT will be sandblasting/repainting 80' sections of Wacker Drive at a time. The sandblasting/repainting area will be contained and exhaust fans will be in-place to remove dust and fumes.
Traffic will be maintained in both directions at all times, and access to parking garages will not be blocked.
This project is expected to be completed mid-December 2021.
ComEd Vault Roof Replacement
ComEd is replacing a sidewalk vault roof at 344 West Erie Street. Work hours will be 8am-3pm, 5-days a week.
Throughout the work, the sidewalk and curb lane on the north side of West Erie, from North Orleans to the first alley west thereof will be closed.
There will be barricades, detour signs, and flaggers on-site throughout the project. All work is expected to be completed by mid-August (weather dependent).
Vaulted Sidewalk Fill-in: 600 W. Jackson
Starting at the beginning of August, the vaulted sidewalks adjacent to 600 W. Jackson will be filled and the sidewalks repaired. During the work, the following will be closed:
- Sidewalk/curb lane on the west side of Jefferson, from Jackson to Adams
- Sidewalk/curb lane on the north side of Jackson, from Jefferson to the first alley west thereof
There will be detour signs, barricades, and flaggers on-side throughout the project. All work is expected to be finished by the end of August.
Vaulted Sidewalk Repair: 20 N. Wacker Drive
The vaulted sidewalk at 20 North Wacker Drive is being repaired. Throughout the work, the sidewalk on the west side of Wacker, from Washington to a point 100' south thereof will be closed. Construction fencing will be used to enclose the sidewalk and detour signs will be in-place.
Pedestrians will be directed to the east side of North Wacker at West Washington and West Madison.
The project is expected to be completed in late September 2021.
354 North Union Construction
The Onni Group is constructing a 33 story residential building with 373 units. Work hours will be 8am-8pm, daily.
Parking will be prohibited on North Union, from West Kinzie to the cul-de-sac west thereof throughout the project. All construction equipment and vehicles will be staged on the Onni Group’s property. This project will take approximately two years to complete.
Vaulted Sidewalk Fill-in: 8 East Randolph
In early May, the vaulted sidewalk adjacent to 8 East Randolph Street began to be filled and the sidewalk repaired. During the work, the sidewalk on the east side of State Street, between Randolph Street and Benton Place will be closed to pedestrian traffic.
The contractor will construct a protected pathway for pedestrians, using jersey barricades, in the curb lane on the east side of State Street, between Randolph Street and Benton Place. All work is expected to be completed by mid-September.
RCN Infrastructure Relocation
In early March, RCN began to relocate conduits on St. Clair Street, from Erie Street to Illinois Street. Work hours will be 8am-5pm.
The project includes infrastructure trenching in the street and on the sidewalk. There will be intermittent lane and sidewalk closures throughout the project. RCN will have barricades, traffic control, and detour signs in place during the project. Two-way traffic will be maintained throughout the project.
This project is expected to be completed in mid-August 2021 (weather dependent).
430 N. Michigan Lobby Renovation
Starting in mid-September, GNP Realty Partners will be renovating the lobby at 430 N. Michigan Avenue. Throughout the project, there will be a 40’ urban canopy on the sidewalk in front of the building. In order to place the canopy on the sidewalk, the planter bed and City Information Panel (CIP) at this location will be temporarily removed. Both the planter bed and CIP will be reinstalled upon completion of the project.
The project is expected to be completed in mid-December.
South Water Street Viaduct Replacement
In March 2021, the Chicago Department of Transportation began demolition of the South Water Street Viaduct, between Lower Beaubien Court and Stetson Street. Work hours are 8am-8pm, daily.
As of May 10, vehicular and pedestrian access will be prohibited on the Upper and Lower levels of South Water Street, between Lower Beaubien Court and North Stetson Street. There will be barricades and detour signs in-place throughout the duration of the project.
This project is expected to be completed in July 2022 (weather dependent).
Renovations at the Chicago Cultural Center, 78 East Washington Street
On February 15, the Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events (DCASE) began renovating the Grand Army of the Republic Rotunda and Hall at the Cultural Center, located at 78 East Washington Street. Throughout the project, DCASE will be using the Cultural Centers loading zone at 129 North Garland Court as storage for the project and to place their construction dumpster.
On Monday, April 19, canopies will be installed at the following locations:
- South side of Randolph, from Michigan to a point 50' west thereof
- West side of Michigan, from Randolph to a point 75' south thereof
The project is expected to be completed February 2022.
Construction: 609 West Randolph Street
Construction of a 15-story commercial building at 609 West Randolph Street began in mid-January. Throughout the duration of the project, the following will be closed:
- Curb/Traffic lane and sidewalk on south side of West Randolph, from North Jefferson to 621 West Randolph
There will be a canopy with a concrete crash wall and plywood enclosure for pedestrian use in the closed traffic lane on West Randolph, from North Jefferson to 621 West Randolph.
There will be detour signs, barricades, and flaggers in place for the duration of the project. This project is expected to be completed at the beginning of 2022 (weather dependent).
Aon Plaza Renovations
Renovations on the Aon Plaza located at 200 East Randolph Street began in December 2020. Throughout the project, the sidewalk on Upper East Randolph Street in front of the plaza, and on Lower East Randolph Street, will be reduced to 6’.
The project is expected to be completed by August 2021 (weather dependent).
Construction: 61 West Erie Street
In November 2020, LG Construction began construction of a five-story, 28 unit apartment building at 61 West Erie Street. A small crane will be placed in the traffic lane in front of 61 W. Erie Street from Monday, March 15 to Tuesday, March 16. The crane will be removed while work is not occurring and the traffic lane will reopen.
Throughout the construction process, the following will be closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic:
- 100' of sidewalk and curb lane in front of 61 W. Erie Street
- The alley adjacent to the west side of 61 W. Erie Street
There will be detour signs, barricades, and flaggers in place for the duration of the project.
Façade Work: 160 North LaSalle Street
Bowa Construction began work in October 2020 to perform façade and cladding work at 160 North LaSalle Street. During the work, there will be scaffolding on the east, north, and south sides of the building.
All work is expected to be completed in August 2021.
Overnight Parking Ban Downtown
Until further notice, overnight parking will be restricted on the following streets during the weekend:
- Both sides of Oak, between Michigan and Clark
- South side of Oak, between LaSalle and Wells
- Both sides of Chicago, between Michigan and Wells
- Both sides of Ohio, between Michigan and Wells
- Both sides of Hubbard, between Michigan and Wells
- North side of Illinois, between Dearborn and Clark
- Both sides of Illinois, between Wabash and Dearborn
- Both sides of Rush, between Grand and Ohio
- Both sides of Rush, between Erie and Oak
- Both sides of Wabash, between the Chicago River and Grand
- Both sides of State, between Kinzie and Oak
- Both sides of Erie, from Rush to Wells
- Both sides of Huron from Rush to Dearborn
- Both sides of New Street, from Illinois to North Water
- Both sides of Columbus Drive, from Monroe to Balbo
- North side of Wacker Drive, from Wabash to Michigan
- North side of Wacker Drive, from Franklin to Columbus
- Both sides of Wacker Drive, from State to Wabash
- Both sides of Stetson, from Randolph to Wacker
- Both sides of Columbus Drive, from Randolph to Wacker
- Both sides of Beaubien Court, from Randolph to Lake
- Both sides of Randolph, from Harbor to Michigan
Both sides of Ohio, from Michigan to Fairbanks
- Both sides of Erie, from Kingsbury to Larrabee
- West side of Larrabee, from Erie to Huron
As always, please make sure to read all posted signage before parking your vehicle downtown.
One Chicago Square-1 W Chicago Pedestrian and Traffic Impacts
Although fencing is already in place for the sidewalk closure, pedestrians still have access to the sidewalk, but should exercise caution when walking by the construction site.
The curb lanes along Chicago, State, Superior, and Dearborn will remain a No Parking/Tow Zone throughout the project, to allow for demolition, and then the protected pedestrian walkway.
The sidewalk along the east side of Dearborn, from Superior to Chicago, has been closed to pedestrian traffic. Pedestrians will be rerouted to the west side of Dearborn.
Please stay tuned to Reilly Reports as additional construction updates and closures will be announced.