Cycle for Survival
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center is hosting Cycle for Survival in Daley Plaza on the following dates:
- Friday, May 13 from 4-9pm
- Saturday, May 14 from 7am-5pm
They plan to set-up a stage and tent in the plaza. The stage will be filled with stationary bikes. The event is a big spin class.
They will use the curb lane on the east side of Clark adjacent to Daley Plaza to unload and load. No streets will be closed. Alcohol and food will not be sold at the event.
The organizers plan to use amplified sound during the event.
Chicago Spring Half Marathon
Life Time Fitness is hosting the Chicago Spring Half Marathon scheduled for Sunday, May 22. This event benefits the Muscular Dystrophy Association. The following are the event details:
- Amplified sound from 8am-12pm - sound will be inside Maggie Daley Park and speakers will be facing away from residential buildings
- Maggie Daley Park is providing 20 security guards for the event
- Approximately 8,000 attendees (CPD has already given their approval)
- One vendor selling food/beer/wine in Maggie Daley Park
The race route is as follows:
- Races will start at Columbus/Monroe and head south to Roosevelt, east to the lakefront, south on the lakefront to 47th, north on the lakefront to Randolph, west on Randolph to Columbus, and south on Columbus back to Maggie Daley Park
CDOT Repaving Project:
Starting Thursday, May 19, CDOT will begin repaving Lower Carrol, from Wells Street to State Street. This project is expected to take 30 days to complete.
Helicopter Lift: 1 East Wacker Drive
Midwest Helicopter was hired to lift HVAC units onto the roof at 1 E Wacker on Saturday, May 14 from 9am to 11am. During the lift, vehicular and pedestrian access will be prohibited at the following locations:
- State, from Lake to just north of the Chicago River
- Wacker, from Wabash to Dearborn
They will have detour signs and CPD in-place throughout the lift.
Adams Street Bridge
IDOT continues their work on the Adams Street Bridge over I90/94. On Sunday, May 1, IDOT began installed support beams for the Bridge during the overnight hours. This work will continue for 2 more weeks.
Randolph Street Viaduct Repair
Starting Monday, May 9, CDOT will be repairing the Randolph Street Viaduct, from Columbus to Field. Work hours will be Monday-Friday, from 8am-5pm.
Throughout the project, at least one lane of eastbound traffic will be open. Westbound lanes will not be disrupted.
The project is expedited to be completed mid-July (weather dependent).
Crane Lift 81 E Van Buren
On Sunday, May 15 from 9am to 4pm, LaGrange will be conducting a crane lift at 81 E. Van Buren. During the lift, the following will be closed:
- Sidewalk on the south side of Van Buren, from Michigan to Wabash
- Curb/traffic lane on the south side of Van Buren, form Michigan to Wabash
The curb lane on the north side of Van Buren, between Michigan and Wabash will be used for westbound traffic.
They will have barricades and flaggers in-place throughout the lift.
Peoples Gas Main Installation Project: Bellevue, from Lake Shore Drive to Rush
Beginning at the end of May 2022, Peoples Gas will install a 900' gas main on the south side of Bellevue Place, from Inner Lake Shore Drive to Rush Street.
The main will be installed in sections of 150'. Once the gas main is installed, service lines will be connected from the new main to each building on the north side of the street.
This will require trenching from the south to north side of the street. All work is expected to be completed by late July (weather dependent). Curb-to-curb restoration will occur in August.
Peoples Gas Rush & Bellevue
On Monday, May 16, Peoples Gas will begin installing a new gas main at Rush and Bellevue. Parking will be prohibited on the north side of Bellevue, from Rush to the first alley east thereof during the work.
This project will last 3 weeks.
Ida B. Wells Repaving Project
Resurfacing of Ida B. Wells, from Congress Parkway to Columbus began on Monday, May 2. The work will include ADA sidewalk improvements, curb and gutter removal and replacement, milling and paving the existing asphalt pavement and striping.
All work is expected to be completed by May 31.
Justified Filming - 52 W Illinois
Justified plans to film inside 52 W. Illinois Street on Monday, May 16 and Tuesday May 17. There will not e any special effects or loud noises associated with the filming. During the filming, parking will be prohibited at the following locations:
- BOTH SIDES OF DEARBORN FROM GRAND TO ILLINOIS
- EAST OF DEARBORN FROM ILLINOIS TO HUBBARD
- NORTH SIDE OF ILLINOIS FROM CLARK TO STATE
If you have any questions or concerns, please call Stefan Nikolov at 773-616-0007.
On Saturday, May 14, Power Force plans to film a walk and talk scene at Illinois and Cityfront Plaza. During the filming, parking will be prohibited at the following locations:
- East Side of Columbus from Jackson to Ida B Wells (Friday, May 13: 4:00AM thru 4:00AM of Saturday, May 14)
- Both Sides of St. Clair St. from Illinois St to North Water Street (Friday, May 13: 7:00AM thru 2:00AM of Saturday, May 14)
- North Side of Illinois St from St Clair St to Columbus Dr (Friday, May 13: 7:00AM thru 2:00AM of Saturday, May 14)
- Both Sides of Upper Illinois St from N City Front Plaza West 50 Feet (Friday, May 13: 7:00AM thru 2:00AM of Saturday, May 14)
- Both Sides Lower Lower Columbus from Lower Lower Wacker to Lower Lower Randolph (Friday, May 13: 4:00AM thru 4:00AM of Saturday, May 14)
- South Side of Lower Lower Randolph from Lower Lower N Field Dr west 400 feet (Friday, May 13: 4:00AM thru 4:00AM of Saturday, May 14)
If you have any questions, please call Danielle Weber (Location Manager) 773-277-8728.
Dearborn Bridge Work
CDOT has scheduled emergency work on the Dearborn Bridge to begin in early June. They will be conducting the following work:
- Replacing both sidewalks
- Replacing all of the bridge grating
- Replacing the beam structures
The project is expected to last 12 months (weather dependent).
The bridge will be reduced to one lane of traffic/sidewalk at a time. Bike traffic will be detoured to Clark Street.
Crane Lift: 7 West Monroe Street
On Friday, June 3 and Saturday, June 4 from 8am-8pm there will be a crane lift at 7 West Monroe Street. Throughout the lift, Monroe, from State to Dearborn will be closed to vehicular traffic. The crane will remain on-site during the overnight hours.
There will be barricades, detour signs, and traffic control on-site throughout the lift.
Gas Main Replacement - Michigan, Chestnut to Cedar
Peoples Gas continues it's gas main replacement on Oak Street/Walton Street, between Michigan Avenue and Rush Street. Work hours may vary throughout the project, but are currently anticipated to be 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays.
All openings will be covered and secured during non-work hours. This portion of the gas main replacement is expected to be completed at the beginning of July.
Gas Main Replacement - Michigan, Monroe to Lake
On Monday, February 7, Peoples Gas began a gas main replacement on the west side of Michigan Avenue, from Monroe to Lake. Work hours will be 9am-4pm.
This project is expected to be completed in August 2022 (weather dependent).
214 West Erie Street Renovations
On Monday, December 13, Crane Construction began renovations of 214 West Erie Street. During construction, the following will be closed:
- Sidewalk/curb lane in front of 214 West Erie Street. The curb lane will be used as a pedestrian walkway. Crane Construction will place jersey barriers and ramps in the curb lane to protect pedestrians and provide wheelchair access.
- Close 100' of the north/south alley adjacent to 214 W Erie Street. This is a T alley and residents of 222 W Erie will still be able to access their parking garage from the alley entrance on Franklin and Huron.
This project is expected to be completed summer of 2022 (weather dependent).
LG Construction: 751 N. Hudson and 451 W Chicago
LG Construction has recently broke ground at 751 N. Hudson Avenue and 451 W. Chicago Avenue, which are adjacent parcels. Work hours will be 8am-5pm, Monday-Friday.
Throughout the project, the following will be closed:
- Sidewalk/curb lane/traffic lane of the east side of Hudson, from Chicago to the first alley south thereof
- Sidewalk/curb lane/traffic lane on the west side of Sedgwick, from Chicago to the first alley south thereof
- Sidewalk/curb lane on the south side of Chicago, from Hudson to Sedgwick
There will be a protected pedestrian walkway in the curb lane on the south side of Chicago Avenue, from Hudson Avenue to Sedgwick Street.
This project is expected to take 18 months to complete (weather dependent).
354 North Union Construction
The Onni Group is constructing a 33 story residential building with 373 units. Work hours will be 8am-8pm, daily.
Parking will be prohibited on North Union, from West Kinzie to the cul-de-sac west thereof throughout the project. All construction equipment and vehicles will be staged on the Onni Group’s property. This project will take approximately two years to complete.
430 N. Michigan Lobby Renovation
Starting in mid-September, GNP Realty Partners will be renovating the lobby at 430 N. Michigan Avenue. Throughout the project, there will be a 40’ urban canopy on the sidewalk in front of the building. In order to place the canopy on the sidewalk, the planter bed and City Information Panel (CIP) at this location will be temporarily removed. Both the planter bed and CIP will be reinstalled upon completion of the project.
The project is expected to be completed in May 2022.
South Water Street Viaduct Replacement
In March 2021, the Chicago Department of Transportation began demolition of the South Water Street Viaduct, between Lower Beaubien Court and Stetson Street. Work hours are 8am-8pm, daily.
As of May 10, vehicular and pedestrian access will be prohibited on the Upper and Lower levels of South Water Street, between Lower Beaubien Court and North Stetson Street. There will be barricades and detour signs in-place throughout the duration of the project.
This project is expected to be completed in July 2022 (weather dependent).
Overnight Parking Ban Downtown
Until further notice, overnight parking will be restricted on the following streets during the weekend:
- Both sides of Oak, between Michigan and Clark
- South side of Oak, between LaSalle and Wells
- Both sides of Chicago, between Michigan and Wells
- Both sides of Ohio, between Michigan and Wells
- Both sides of Hubbard, between Michigan and Wells
- North side of Illinois, between Dearborn and Clark
- Both sides of Illinois, between Wabash and Dearborn
- Both sides of Rush, between Grand and Ohio
- Both sides of Rush, between Erie and Oak
- Both sides of Wabash, between the Chicago River and Grand
- Both sides of State, between Kinzie and Oak
- Both sides of Erie, from Rush to Wells
- Both sides of Huron from Rush to Dearborn
- Both sides of New Street, from Illinois to North Water
- Both sides of Columbus Drive, from Monroe to Balbo
- North side of Wacker Drive, from Wabash to Michigan
- North side of Wacker Drive, from Franklin to Columbus
- Both sides of Wacker Drive, from State to Wabash
- Both sides of Stetson, from Randolph to Wacker
- Both sides of Columbus Drive, from Randolph to Wacker
- Both sides of Beaubien Court, from Randolph to Lake
- Both sides of Randolph, from Harbor to Michigan
- Both sides of Ohio, from Michigan to Fairbanks
- West side of Larrabee, from Erie to Huron
As always, please make sure to read all posted signage before parking your vehicle downtown.