While FOWS continues to review the Proposed Action and documents in coming weeks, we have included some highlights that may help you provide comments below. In addition,
we would like to hear your thoughts about the proposal, including the location of the new pier and boat ramp, so that we may best reflect your interests. Please reply to this alert with your feedback and suggestions.
- Restoration of the lagoon and creek, which will provide ecosystem and lake clarity benefits and help combat aquatic invasive species;
- Improvements to the campground infrastructure, vehicular circulation routes, and pedestrian/bike access;
- Opportunities to highlight cultural aspects of the Washoe Tribe;
- Enhanced public education; and
- Improved fish passage through the SR 89 stream crossing.
Concerns & Potential Alternatives:
- Some members have expressed concern that the proposed location of the new pier and boat launch on the south end will reduce the size of the existing beach, which is very popular among locals and visitors (including campers), and interfere with the enjoyment of non-motorized recreational activities in that area; to address these concerns, the environmental analysis should examine alternative locations for the pier and boat ramp, including on the northern end of the project area;
- The project should be crafted so that the experiences of those enjoying non-motorized recreation (e.g. paddlers, beach-goers) are not negatively impacted by motorized use of the new pier and boat ramp;
- The project may result in a reduction of campsites by up to 20%; and
- The project may also reduce parking spaces by up to 20%.