|How to Increase Feelings of Gratitude
Here are a few tips to put you in the holiday spirit as well as feel better on a daily basis.
* Pay attention to good fortune, and you'll realize you're fortunate in every moment
* Verbalize your gratitude, acknowledging the magnificence of what life presents
* Count your blessings whenever you're unhappy, flat, or dry -- anytime
* In difficult or mundane situations, with friends or strangers, ask yourself, "What is the gift here? What are the benefits of having things turn out like this?"
* Reframe unplanned inconveniences by recognizing even situations like missing a train connection can offer gifts such as having a couple of hours to yourself
* As a daily exercise, write, think of, or verbalize one to five things you're grateful for. For example, "Im grateful for my good health." "I'm grateful for my friends and family." "I'm grateful for this meal."
* Remember your list throughout the day and in doing so, experience the positive feelings that are created
* Say "thank you" often as giving thanks expresses recognition of life's bountiful offerings. Don't forget to say "Thank you for your help."
* Repeat, the more the better, expressions such as:
I am fortunate.
I am blessed.
I am a lucky gal.
I am a lucky guy.