Select Truths to Combat your Faulty Thinking
1. Read through the list of Truths immediately below (preferably out loud). These are statements about yourself and are related to the emotions of sadness and joy. Write down one or two Truths that feel like they would be helpful for you to believe about yourself.
TRUTHS TO HONOR YOURSELF AND MOVE FROM SADNESS TO JOY:
* What I'm seeking is within me.
* My job is to take care of myself.
* Life is for learning. We all make mistakes.
* I'm doing the best I can. OR I did the best I could.
* My viewpoints and needs are as valid as yours.
* I am responsible for what I think, feel, say, and do.
* I can do this.
* I love myself regardless of what I do.
Now read the entire second grouping of reliable Truths (which are about other people, things, and situations, and are related to the emotions of anger and love. Select one or two of them and write them on a second card or piece of paper.
TRUTHS TO ACCEPT PEOPLE & THINGS & GO FROM ANGER TO LOVE:
* People and things are the way they are, not the way
I want them to be.
* My focus is myself.
* What he/she thinks of me is none of my business.
* He is doing the best he can. She did the best she could.
* I accept you no matter what.
* We are all on our own paths.
* Your viewpoints and needs are as important as mine.
* We can handle this together.
* How can I help? What can I do?
Finally, do the same with the third grouping of statements. They are about your relationship to time and associated with the emotions of fear and peace. Write down one or two that feel helpful for you.
TRUTHS TO STAY PRESENT & SPECIFIC & MOVE FROM FEAR TO PEACE:
* Everything is all right. Everything will be all right.
* This feeling is temporary. This situation will pass.
* Stop. Breathe. Slow down. Be here now.
* Stay specific.
* One thing at a time.
* I'll handle the future in the future.
* I'll do what I can, and the rest is out of my hands.
* Everything is unfolding in its own time.