April 16, 2020
I’m writing to inform you that two individuals we support at the Anthony John IRA have tested positive for COVID-19. The individuals will be quarantined on the lower level of the Anthony John IRA.
The Department of Health (DOH), Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) and local health authorities were notified immediately, and individuals and staff who had high contact with the infected individuals will be separated from the two quarantined individuals in adherence with the protocols shared by those authorities. We are continuing to make every effort to contain the spread.
This is not easy news to share. Sadly, the COVID-19 pandemic is affecting many people in our region and across the globe, but we can assure you that our team is, and has been, taking measures to protect your loved ones, who we cherish greatly. We are operating under the Centers for Disease Prevention and Control’s (CDC) strict protocols for infection control, and recent measures include:
- Ordering tests for all individuals and staff at Anthony John IRA to be tested
- Staff designated to work only with the infected individuals
- Implementing entry station at Anthony John IRA to include Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) distribution for staff, enhanced electronic monitoring of symptoms and temperatures and procedure for sanitizing hands, cell phone and footwear at the doorway
- Extensively cleaning and disinfecting of the Anthony John IRA by a professional company
- Staggering mealtimes to allow for social distancing among residents and staff
- Implementing food delivery service for all Greystone IRAs
- Facilitating additional trainings for clinical staff, including CDC, DOH and OPWDD webinars
- Disinfecting entry station
- Staff deployed to only one IRA each to minimize exposure
- Prevention training Part 1 and Part 2
- Mandating staff who are experiencing any symptoms of illness (i.e., cough, runny nose, headache, fever, body aches) to stay home and self-quarantine for a minimum of 7 days and 72 hours symptom free
- Providing hand sanitizer and extensive cleaning of all sites multiple times per day
- Suspending all visits unless medically or clinically essential
- Taking temperatures of all Greystone-supported individuals and staff daily
- Requiring all support staff to wear masks while on shift
- Holding daily Infection Control Committee meetings (7 days per week)
We will send updates as we have more news to share, and, in the meantime, do not hesitate to reach out to me via email at
or my cell (845) 505-0354. We remain fiercely committed to protecting your family member’s health and well-being. Together, we will get through this.