April 20, 2020
Dear Family Members,
I’m writing to provide an update on the status of the individuals in our care at New Hackensack IRA. Unfortunately, four additional individuals who we support at the New Hackensack IRA have tested positive for COVID-19. The four individuals who have tested positive are quarantined at Greystone’s 36 Violet Avenue, Poughkeepsie Healing Center.
Again, following proper protocol, the Department of Health (DOH), Office for People with Developmental Disabilities (OPWDD) and local health authorities were notified immediately. We are continuing every effort to keep individuals and staff safe.
This is hard news to share. As you know, the coronavirus health crisis is impacting everyone – from our local community to all nations worldwide. We assure you, however, that our team continues to take extreme measures to protect your family member. In my last letter (April 16), I outlined Greystone’s strict protocols (beyond the recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) for infection control. Recent measures include:
- Implementing entry station at New Hackensack IRA to include Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) distribution for staff, enhanced electronic monitoring of symptoms and temperatures and procedure for sanitizing hands, cell phone and footwear at the doorway
- Extensively cleaning and disinfecting of the New Hackensack IRA by a professional company
- Staggering mealtimes to allow for social distancing among residents and staff
- Implemented food delivery service for all Greystone IRAs
- Facilitating additional trainings for clinical staff, including CDC, DOH and OPWDD webinars
- Staff deployed to only one IRA each to minimize exposure
- Prevention training Part 1 and Part 2
- Mandating staff who are experiencing any symptoms of illness (i.e., cough, runny nose, headache, fever, body aches) to stay home and self-quarantine for a minimum of 7 days and 72
- Taking temperatures of all Greystone-supported individuals and staff daily
- Requiring all support staff to wear masks while on shift
- Holding daily Infection Control Committee meetings (7 days per week)
- PPE and Mask handling training
- Continued individual and staff testing
- In addition to the house being cleaned multiple times daily, house is also being cleaned and disinfected by a professional company daily.
We will continue to communicate as we have more news to share. Please, do not hesitate to reach out to me via email at
or my cell (845) 505-0354 with any questions and concerns.
Stay healthy and safe,