Met via conference call
Meeting called to order at 7:37pm
Gay Adams, Martha Woodland, Karen Breckenridge, Nancy Eidam, Erin Silver, David Silver, Leanne Roth, and John Shaver who left early
Kathy Christensen, Carol Dombrowsky, Diane Pixlee, and Erica Traeger
Minutes for 4/18/18
were previously approved via email & published in the Stable Sheet newsletter. They were provided to the Board for their reference prior to this meeting.
Financial report as of 4/30/2018 - Karen Breckenridge
$11,978 general checking account
$4,080 futurity account
$14,965 Nancy Falk Trust Donation – Restricted Funds
$8,161 OMC account
$25,487 general savings account
Total after reconciliations $65,070
Net income to date is $2,493 for the fiscal year
OMC - Nancy Eidam
Nancy gave a full update on where we are on the show and requested help in different areas. Lots of people are stepping up to assist but we still have some areas where we need more. New signage has been designed & a quote received. Nancy will negotiate for a reduction, but requests approval to spend a maximum of $4,500 out of last year’s show profits. This expenditure is to be considered a purchase of equipment and not as an expenditure against this year’s show income. Erin made a motion to approve the expense, Leanne seconded. Approved.
People need to get their entries in early this year to guarantee a stall for the show. The number of permanent stalls is limited. We are hoping not to have to go to portable stalls as they will cost us twice as much. We also have limited hotel rooms in our reserved block at a special rate. People need to get their reservations in as soon as possible. Gay to put something out to the members. That said we will continue to work with the hotel as much as we can to get additional blocks as needed.
Our sponsorship goal is $10,000 to $12,000. It is an aggressive goal and we will need to be very focused if we are to make it. Currently we have $6,500 pledged. Sponsorship is what allows us to keep our pricing as low as possible and to put on a nice show. Sponsorships are crucial to having a successful show. Nancy requested help in seeking Patron sponsorships. Gay & Martha volunteered.
We will have lots of fun events at the show including a long requested progressive dinner thru the barns. Per discussion, we need to focus more on Corporate sponsors next year which need to begin in September 2018. Many businesses approve their budgets for the coming year in October. Packages are set now so we will be more prepared to do this.
Hi-Point Committee – Gay Adams for Erica Parker-Trager
Some changes have been made to the Hi-Point award categories. Primary change is that Western Working now covers Ranch Pleasure (all types), Reining, Cutting, Roping, & Team Penning. Western & Cowboy Dressage are a combined category on its own separate from Traditional Dressage. Our Hi-Point program is for our members and is our own program separate from AMHA. It is not governed by AMHA rules but by what the Board decides.
Education – Erin Silver
Trying to get a clinic set up with a Vet that does Chiropractic Medicine and Acupuncture. The idea is a clinic to focus on alternative medical options. Nothing is set yet. Looking toward Fall for when this could happen.
Stallion Service Auction – Gay Adams
Special offer for first come first served on remaining stallions will close May 31
. Have had inquiries, but nothing has worked out so no new sales. Committee is looking at what it would take to have an on-line auction. It is getting hard to find enough volunteers to man the phones for the auction the way we have the last several years.
Futurity – Gay Adams
Futurity renewals went out late via email. So far, we have had 11 out of a possible 44 renewals come in. One reason some renewals are not being made is that several the horses have been sold out of area. This is sad for the Futurity, but good because that is part of what our Futurity is all about. Note: More horses seem to be selling these days – a good sign for the industry.
Promotion – Gay Adams for Kathy Christensen
We will not have an actual MHAO booth at the OMC show. Instead, information has been prepared to go into the Exhibitor Packets at the show. There will be a give-away table. Later in the year we are planning to participate in the Day of the Morgan event & are starting to work on that.
Membership & Membership Directory – Gay Adams for Kathy Christensen
We currently have 124 Members. Directory is almost ready to go to printer. We are looking at going to an online directory next year. Plan is to only mail a directory to those who do not have computer access to our website. Plan is for it to be accessible by members only. This will save the club money, and we will be able to keep it current on an ongoing basi
Ride/Drive Program – Leanne Roth
Still only have one person registered. No activity.
Open Incentive Program – Carol Dombrowsky
Nothing new to report. Not much activity. We have only reimbursed $100 so far this year.
Website & Stable Sheet – Gay Adams
On the Stable Sheet, Gay is still looking for an editor, and asks that the Board help her find one. Even an assistant editor who would take over the member news section would be helpful. She cannot keep doing the Stable Sheet by herself if at all next year. Gay wants a year to really focus on the Futurity and Stallion Service Auction.
Nancy Falk Colorful Morgan Award – Gay Adams
Horses eligible for this award need to be registered as the colors listed in the program. This is a program based on the donors (Nancy Falk Trust Administrators) request and we need to honor their request. A splash gene on its own is not sufficient to qualify. Eligible horses must be cross registered as a Pinto or as a Palomino, Grey, Perlino, Cremelo or Buckskin with AMHA. Other variations of different colors are not included (i.e. chestnut with flaxen mane & tail, smoky black, splash that results in blue eyes but not high white, etc.). This is at the donor’s request.
Youth – Nancy Eidam & Gay Adams for Diane Pixlee
We will have a Youth of the Year competition at OMC with nicer awards and ribbons. Top awards will be plaques with place to insert a picture. Youth activities are all scheduled including a Youth table for coloring and other activities at the show, T-Shirt painting, stick horse painting and parade, Pizza party provided by Breckenridge’s, Bouncy Ball Horse Relay will have 3 sets of competitors (trainers/professionals, owners, & Jr Exhibitors). We will also have the carrot obstacle course which is very popular with Jr. exhibitors.
Diane planning to have a meeting at OMC with David & Sierra to talk about committee plans for the rest of the year. One thing to get started is a Youth Newsletter.
NEW BUSINESS - OPEN DISCUSSION
New board members needed.
We need to start the search now for our elections in November. Gay asked for all Board members to help in the search. We have openings that we could fill even now, but primarily need nominations for November election. Gay is not running for President for 2019. She will run to be on the Board.
Need to create another fundraiser.
Since the Stallion Service Auction came in lower than our goal this year, we need another fund raiser to stay on budget. Board is asked to be ready to suggest something at the July meeting. June meeting will be focused on a debrief of the Oregon Morgan Classic.
The meeting was adjourned at 8:30pm.
Next meeting Wednesday, June 27, 2018 via Conference call at 7:30 PM. Meeting will be focused on how OMC went.
Martha Woodland, MHAO Secretary