Grants will be awarded to water and wastewater projects based on the following priorities:
- Disadvantaged communities
- Projects that will significantly improve water quality in their watershed
- Projects that use alternative wastewater treatment technologies (all projects proposing alternative technologies must be approved by DNR)
- Communities with the highest sewer or water rates
- Projects that use technology to address nutrient reduction
- Projects that will improve source waters for drinking water utilities
The grant awardees are determined by a committee consisting of the Secretary of Agriculture (or designee), the Executive Director of Iowa Finance Authority (or designee) and the Director of the Department of Natural Resources (or designee).