Avian flu cases are on the rise in the Midwest. Those who come into contact with birds - poultry owners and birdwatchers - can take steps to help prevent the disease from spreading.
Refer to the Illinois Department of Agriculture and Illinois Department of Natural Resources websites for detailed avian flu recommendations and updates.
- IDOA: www2.illinois.gov/sites/agr
- IDNR: www2.illinois.gov/dnr
- Keep free-range flocks inside. Prevent contact between backyard flocks and wild birds.
- Follow USDA biosecurity measures (bit.ly/3L9s1Rb)
- Watch for these symptoms: runny eyes, swelling, lethargy
- Report sick birds or unusual bird deaths to the IDOA at (217) 782-4944
- Remove bird feeders and birdbaths and any remaining feed.
- Hummingbird and oriole feeders can stay up
- Report cases of 5 of more dead wild birds in an area to an IDNR district wildlife biologist (bit.ly/3xIDaVf)