Mr. Dave Mueller
Happy New Year! We faculty and staff members look forward to welcoming students soon: the Class of 2023 on Sunday afternoon, Monday, and Tuesday; and everyone else on Wednesday. Welcome to new faculty members Mrs. Bea Gardner (visual arts) and Mrs. Erica Stablum (counseling). Welcome too to Mrs. Kim Zang, director of liturgical music. Thanks to Student Council for returning early to plan ways to fire up Rocket spirit.
New students and families
Welcome to 116 members of the Class of 2023 and their families, a number of transfer students and families, and several international students!
A number of faculty and staff members are taking on new roles. Most of these roles deal with behind-the-scenes school operations. Two will provide services that are more visible to students and parents:
- Mrs. Ashley Brothers serves as Dean of Women in addition to teaching math and serving as department chair. Mrs. Brothers will collaborate with Mr. Orlando on Student Life matters, with special care for our young women.
- Mr. Tim Monahan serves as Assistant Athletic Director in addition to teaching physical education and serving as head basketball coach. He will collaborate with Mr. Heise and Mrs. Rohlfs, with special attention to communications and public relations for athletics.
- Phase two of our security upgrade has been completed, thanks to the planning and work of Mr. Jackson, Mr. Ey, and Mr. Woodruff. Additional exterior doors have been reinforced and equipped with electronic locks, and additional interior cameras will enable us to view corridors and halls in the event of an emergency.
- The McNick Minute (Podcast Club) has a new home in the old Rocket Shop room in the main lobby.
- The counselors are outfitting a resource center and meeting space.
- We are outfitting a maker space, which will open later in the semester.
The goal of these practices is to build soft skills and habits of life-long learning. As with any new practice, we can expect bumps in the road of early implementation.
Speaking of bumps in the road of implementation...
I apologize for underestimating the necessary lead time to secure and inventory of all styles and sizes of the new uniform skorts. I regret the aggravation this has caused. This is my responsibility, not the fault of our good partners at Educational Outfitters.
- The statement in last week's newsletter that September 23 is the tentative end of the transition from the plaid skirt was an error. Some styles and sizes might not be available until November. Students may wear the plaid skirt until the skort in their preferred style and size is available from Educational Outfitters.
- Freshmen who are awaiting skorts on back order may call the main school office - or stop in the office during their orientation days on Monday and Tuesday -- and arrange to borrow a plaid skirt that has been professionally cleaned until their skort order arrives.
- Uniform skorts are available to purchase through the Educational Outfitters website or at the store located at 2656 E. Sharon Road, Cincinnati OH 45241. If you would like to pick up your order on campus, please select the "Pick up order at store" option when you are checking out online and add a note that you would like to have your order brought to McNicholas for pick up.
- Please be aware that sizing is different for uniforms than it is for other clothing. There are half sizes as well as junior sizes which are more aligned with what you might expect in misses sizes. If you have questions, please visit the store or call the store for clarification at 771-1234.
- For young women: Educational Outfitters will not give refunds for returned skorts that have been worn for a school day. To be certain that your skort fits according to the rule of two inches above the top of the knee, wear your plaid skirt to school and bring your skort to the main office. Female staff members will arrange for you to try on the skort. They will then either document that your skort meets the length requirement or will advise you to exchange it for an appropriate size before you wear it for a day and can no longer exchange it.
- McNicholas will issue a check for $40 to the parents of each enrolled woman in the sophomore, junior, and senior classes to help defray the cost of the skorts. Checks will be mailed to homes by mid-September.
- For young men: Mr. Orlando is available to document that shorts comply with the dress code so you can exchange them for an appropriate style and size if necessary.
We hope to see you at these upcoming celebrations of school community:
- September 20 - Opening home varsity football game with food trucks and Homecoming festivities
- October 5 - "Rocketoberfest" adults-only celebration brings the spirit of Munich to McNick.
2019-2020 School Calendar
Please click here
to access important dates for the next school year. The new schedule and exceptions to the schedule days are also available through this link.
Setting up lunch accounts
As we approach a new school year, Derringer Company is pleased to again offer our Dining Services to McNicholas High School. We would like to welcome the new students and returning students and look forward to another great year! Click here for more information about setting up your account and adding funds by August 19.
School photo day--Thursday, August 22
Lifetouch photos will be on campus Thursday, August 22, to take school photos. All students must be photographed for ID and record purposes.
here for more information if you would like to order photos.
2019-2020 parking spots
Applications and payments for parking spots in 2019-2020 are on sale. They should be turned in to Mrs. Rohlfs in the athletic office. You must show your valid driver's license in order to purchase a spot.
Please note: The upper lot will be reserved for seniors. Click here for the application.
LAST CHANCE--Summer reading assignments due Tues., August 20
Summer reading assignments are due before the first day of school.
Students will be assessed through a variety of assignments for both English and science that will be
available on Schoology until Tuesday, August 20, at 9 p.m.
There will be no cumulative test given this year.
Please click here for details, deadlines, and additional information.
Sophomore families asked to help welcome freshmen families
McNicholas will be hosting incoming freshmen and their families for Mass and a picnic on Sunday, August 18, and families of the Class of 2022 are invited to help welcome our newest families by donating a baked item for the picnic desserts. Simple baked goods like cookies or brownies can be dropped off Friday, August 16, in the main office or at 3 p.m. on Sunday, August 18 at the tables inside the Courtyard doors. If you are able to help, please click here and let us know what you plan to bring.
Freshmen Parent Meeting
The Counseling and College Readiness Department will hold a meeting for freshmen parents on Wednesday, September 4 at 6 p.m. in the Cafe. Meet the Teacher night will follow at 7 p.m.
Back-to-School Car Wash-Aug. 17
Clean up your ride before classes start! Student Council will sponsor a Back-to-School Car Wash on Saturday, August 17 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the visitor's lot.
Trip to Paris, the Riviera, and Rome--June 2020
There are spots available to be part of this exciting trip next summer! Come learn more at the next information meeting on
Monday, September 9, at 6:30 p.m
. in Room 304 (Convent).
Please contact Mrs. Julie Dill at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Rocket Shop volunteers needed
Volunteers are needed to work the Rocket Shop on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Shifts are available 11 a.m.-1 p.m. or 1-3 p.m. Contact Karmella Franic-Everhart at 513-490-3934 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Athletic Passes for 2019-20 events now available
Support McNicholas athletes by purchasing an all season athletic pass, which would allow you one admission to all home athletic events at all levels for the 2019 - 2020 school year, except OHSAA tournament games. McNicholas will host over sixty events during the 2019 - 2020 school year. If you attend even a third of our events at pre-sale prices, you save money. Individual passes are $75, and family passes for 4 or more immediate family members (parents and siblings) are $300. Passes may be ordered through Final Forms or by clicking here.
Car sports decal orders extended until Friday
Sports decal orders will be accepted until Friday, August 16. Decals are $8 each. Click here for order form.
Booster Golf Outing-Sat., Sept 21
The Athletic Boosters will host their Golf Outing on Saturday, September 21 at Legendary Run Golf Course. Registration, lunch, and driving range starts at 11:30 a.m. with a 1:30 p.m. shotgun start. Dinner, awards, and auction will be at 6 p.m. Click here to register.
Athletic Booster Sportswear Sale
Hey Rocket fans--Look your best this fall with stylish sportswear from
(orders due Aug. 19)and
Ellie Bee Embroidery
(orders due Aug. 21). Thanks for your support! Orders will be delivered to school on September 13. Thanks for your support!
Archbishop McNicholas High School |
email@example.com | 513.231.3500 |