Care givers go into the field of child care because they care about children. They understand that all children must be in a safe environment that provides freedom from harm and offers a sense of security in which to play, develop, and learn. They also recognize that it is their responsibility for planning and maintaining a safe environment.
Ask your provider/caregiver to take a moment and review how well their staff is following safety procedures and to carry out this review on a regular basis to keep everyone on their toes. As a parent you have the right to ensure they are keeping your child safe at all times.
10 Elements of Competent Supervision -
Be Aware of All of the Children in Care at All Times!
1. Maintain ratios at all times.
2. Count the children by name every 5-10 minutes using the attendance sheet.
3. See all of the children at all times.
4. Place yourself so that your back is not turned to the group.
5. Keep close to the children and be able to respond to them as needed.
6. Anticipate what children could do.
7.Be extra aware during transitions - arrivals, departures, going to or leaving the room or playground.
8. Communicate with other staff about what you can see and are doing.
9. Do not bunch up with other staff - spread around the room and outside.
10. Do not use your phone to make calls, text, send emails, listen to music, or for any other purpose.