Facebook  Twitter  Pinterest  

Real Poison Center Case

A 1-year-old baby drank the substance in a liquid ant bait station; her mother contacted the poison center. She was concerned about potentially toxic effects and wanted to know what she should do. Ant baits are often placed on the ground, near corners where babies tend to crawl. Their curiosity brings them to ingest the sugary contents of the liquid ant bait. The liquid in the bait stations contain 5.4% Borax and 94.6% other non-toxic ingredients. Borax in small amounts work well to get rid of pesky critters inside the house and are considered safe for humans if accidentally ingested. The amount of borax in a liquid ant bait station is not expected to cause harm. The mother was reassured and advised to give her baby some water and to proceed with her day.

Things we need to know to beat the heat

The temperatures in Texas are rising! Heat exhaustion and heat strokes are no joke. Here are some things help you beat the heat this summer:

  • Go outside when it's cooler, typically before 10am or after 6pm
  • Wear sunscreen
  • Drink water frequently during the day
  • Avoid caffeine. It causes dehydration.
  • Take breaks often
  • Wear lightweight clothing

Asbestos? What is it?

Asbestos is a group of naturally occurring heat resistant minerals (chrysotile, amosite, crocidolite, anthophyllite, tremolite and actinolite.) It was very popular in the construction of buildings, and navy ships from the 1930's to the 1979's.  It was also widely used as an insulator in homes and to make cloth, paper, cement, and plastics sturdier. 


When asbestos dust is inhaled or ingested, it can be very harmful to the body. These fibers get permanently trapped in the body and can cause scarring, inflammation, and even an aggressive form of cancer known as mesothelioma. Over time, asbestos was recognized as a serious health risk to humans. The Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act of 1986 legally recognized six types of asbestos. It is not a banned substance in the United States, but it is high regulated. 


Although it is not much of an issue today due to its decrease in popularity, it is important to recognize the risk factors and potential for significant health effects. 


Risk Factors include:

  • Aircraft and auto mechanics
  • Building construction workers
  • Electricians
  • Railroad workers
  • Refinery and mill workers
  • Workers removing asbestos insulation around steam pipes in older buildings



If you have questions about asbestos or think you may have been exposed, contact your local poison center at 1-800-222-1222.

Visit our website
Contact Us
Order Materials