Lipoic Acid: The Little Supplement that Could by Victoria Dunckley, M.D.
Do you become overwhelmed when you're in the supplement aisle? Do you ever feel like you're shoving a fistful of pills into your mouth every day and can no longer remember why you're taking what? What if you have to cut back on
because of money, but don't know how to prioritize? For these reasons and more, it's helpful to be aware of potent agents that serve multiple roles. Meet lipoic acid, the little supplement that packs a powerful punch.
Here are 8 little known benefits of alpha lipoic acid (ALA):
1. ALA is a potent antioxidant and regenerates other antioxidants.
2. ALA improves cellular energy levels.
3. ALA crosses blood-brain barrier.
4. ALA may promote heavy metal chelation.
5. ALA improves insulin sensitivity and lowers blood sugar.
6. ALA improves lipid profiles.
7. ALA may help protect against antipsychotic-induced weight gain.
8. ALA shows promise as a potential treatment for stroke, diabetic neuropathy, brain injury, Alzheimer's & multiple sclerosis.