Youth protection completion date:
Thank you for serving as a Supernova Mentor or Nova Counselor. We appreciate all that you do for our Scouts to help them learn about the world around them.
Supernova Mentors or Nova Counselors, like all positions in the Boy Scouts of America, need to re-register every year.
A separate link was sent for 2020 Merit Badge Counselor Renewal.
To renew your Supernova Mentor or Nova Counselor status, use the link below. If, for whatever reason, you wish to no longer serve as a Supernova or Nova Mentor, please use the link below and mark the remove me box indicated on the form.
To complete the renewal process, all Merit Badge, Nova, and Supernova Counselors must comply with the BSA's youth protection policies:
- All BSA volunteers, including Supernova Mentor or Nova Counselor must take Youth Protection training. Please check your Youth Protection completion date at the top of this email. If you completed your Youth Protection training January or February 2018, you will need to retake the course. To take the training today, go to: https://www.scouting.org/training/youth-protection/
- The BSA will now also perform periodic rechecks of criminal backgrounds to support the continued safety of youth in our programs. We need all Supernova Mentors and Nova Counselors to submit a separate copy of the new Background Check Authorization form, in addition to the copy you may have filled out with your unit. Please complete the process listed below at your earliest availability to help us continue to provide the safest environment possible for our Scouts and leaders. Please note that these steps must be completed before your 2020 Supernova/Nova renewal can be processed.
- Review the separate disclosure document linked below that is being provided to you separately for your review. It is titled “Background Check Disclosure.”
- Once you have reviewed that, print the separate document titled “Additional Disclosures & Background Check Authorization.” Review the additional disclosures on that form, then complete and sign the Authorization using an ink/wet signature. Note: A print signature is required for this document. Electronic signatures will not be accepted.
- Turn in the signed “Additional Disclosures & Background Check Authorization” form promptly. This form may be scanned directly to email@example.com. The form may also be dropped at any service center or mailed to: PTAC, 811 West Hillgrove Avenue, La Grange, IL 60525 Attention: Mary Demski. Deadline is January 10, 2020.
- If you choose to decline the background check, or if you do not complete the Additional Disclosures & Background Check Authorization form and return it your Supernova Mentor or Nova Counselor renewal will not be processed.