|Keeping Hope Alive In Spite of Violence
With so much violence in the news lately, it is difficult to appreciate or even see many of the wonderful things that are happening in this world. It is challenging to stay positive. It is frustrating to feel as though there is nothing we can do to impact our future. I'm right there with you in feeling the same way on many occasions, but please read below some suggestions for positively impacting your own little world every day. You may never know how your actions affect those around you, but understand that if you are conscious of your actions and choose to inspire someone in an uplifting way, you have a better chance of making those affects be positive.
As always, please pass along this newsletter to anyone you feel may benefit from it's content.
Maryellen Dabal, MA, LMFT
305 Miron Drive
Southlake, TX 76092
Missed previous newsletters??
Go to www.dabalmft.com. Click on the newsletters link at the bottom of the home page. Enjoy.....
So, what can we do to make our environment and our outlook on life just a little bit better every day? Here are some suggestions:
- Wake up every morning and ask yourself, 'What can I do to make one person in my life just a little bit happier today?" Come up with an answer and DO IT WITH NO EXCUSES. Just one thing.
- No matter your job or your phase of life, help a stranger in a small way, not expecting a payoff or recognition. Pay for the coffee of the car behind you at the Starbucks drive through; hold a door open for someone at the store; while driving, slow down and let someone trying to get into your lane go in front of you instead of speeding up for them to go behind you , just because.
- Think about someone in your life who has impacted you in a positive way.....go thank them. Discuss with them for a moment how they have impacted your life and let them know you appreciate them.
- Smile at someone who appears to be sad or lonely. A smile can be contagious.
- Think of 3 things that you are thankful for today. Write them down and read them aloud. Not everything in this world is negative. Sometimes we have to look closely to find the good, but there is always some there.
- Give the gift of time to someone. We all need to be heard and to be understood. Connect with someone who may need to vent about a situation. Let them vent without judging them.
- If you know someone who has been impacted by violence, write a letter of support to them or call them and let them know you are available to help in some way.
- Reach out to a charity. The act of giving is a sure-fire way to bring up those positive feelings that may be dormant inside of us. We all have gifts and talents to share with others but for some reason, we don't always share them. Learn about your gifts and share them.
There are many other ways to impact our world in a positive way and I encourage you to create your way that works for you. I hope I have inspired you to create your own way of adding positivity into this world that is suffering and maybe even awakened some of you to realize that you have gifts to give, we just have to be willing to give them.
My heart goes out to all those suffering violence in their lives. If you are one of them, please reach out to organizations that can help. Communities are full of resources, we just have to have the strength to use them. There is no reason to suffer in silence.
I am looking forward to hearing about all your successes in the coming year and welcome feedback or article ideas anytime.
Thank you for looking at all of my newsletter topics .....From The Positive Perspective.
Please "LIKE" my Facebook Page by clicking below:
I welcome feedback regarding the newsletter or questions about my practice. I can be reached at
. I cannot, however, give advice through email. For more information on my practice please visit my website:
I wish you well...