Arts Council~Haliburton Highlands
August 2017 Newsletter
August 2017 - News, Events, Workshops, Services and more
The Arts Council~Haliburton Highlands would like to thank the Kennisis Lake Cottage Owners' Association for their donation of $4,200 dollars to the AITS program.
Each year, we try to reach half of all the children in Grades 1-8 in the five Haliburton County elementary schools. Local artists share their skills and knowledge in painting or clay, dancing, weaving or other means of artistic expression as selected by their teacher. The KLCOA contribution is a major enabler of our program.
for being an advertiser in our Directory
Aug. 3-5, Master Classes 7pm @ St. Georges Anglican Church
"Hilda's Yard" Aug. 1-4; Aug. 9-11
"Three Men in a Boat" Aug. 6-8
For more information call: 705-457-9933
Haliburton Summer Studio Tour
27 Artists -16 Studios
Aug. 5-6, 10 am - 5 pm
Tuesday evenings; 7-8:30 pm
"For the Love of Wolves"
July 1 - August 22
Finn Artist's Center
15 Newcastle St. Minden, ON
Arts Directory 2017
Directories are being delivered around the county this month. If you wish to have some for your location, please let me know and we will get them to you. If we have left too many for you, also let us know and we will try to pick them up or please think about dropping them off at a business in your area where there is more traffic. By sharing the Arts Directory, we help promote each other and let visitors know about the arts and arts events in the Haliburton Highlands.
The Haliburton Forest Woodshop
Artists in the Schools
The Haliburton & District Lions Club
The Minden & District Lions Club
Rotary Club of Haliburton
Parker Pad & Printing Ltd.
| photo by Jen Posti
You will find information on upcoming events, good news about members and opportunities for artists, performers, writers and organizations.
Aug. 19 - Sept 2
Teddy Bear Picnic
Aug. 24 @Dahl Forest 10am -12 pm
Tues. and Wed. in July and Aug. 10:30-12:00 pm
Play in the Park
Tuesdays in July & Aug. 12-1 pm
Gardening with Christine
Thursdays June - Aug., 10 am - 12 pm
LoveFest: Festival of Artists, Vendors& Workshops
August 9:30-1 pm
Highlands Fibre Fling
Aug. 19; 11 am - 3 pm
Oil Painting Lessons
Mon. 10-12, Boathouse Studio in Carnarvon
$10/class; 905-435-7785; firstname.lastname@example.org
Aug, 4, 11, 18, 25@ 7-9 pm
Sat. Aug. 5, 12, 19, 26 @ 10:30am
Thurs. Aug. 3, 10, 17, 24, 31 @ 2pm
Sip Swill, Savour: Aug. 9, 25
Sumac: Haliburton County's Lemon: Aug.013
Tastes of Haliburton: Aug. 24
Rock On: Aug. 5,12, 19 26
Haliburton Rocks: Aug. 4, 22
Canoe Like a Canadian: Aug. 26
Rock Hounding: Aug. 2, 14, 29
Wild Fermentation: Kimchi, Krauts & More:
Mushroom Forage & Wild Epicurean Tasting: Aug. 26
Path of the Paddle: Aug. 17
Date Night -An Adventure in Art: Aug. 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 19, 29, 30, 31
Gems Beneath your Boots: Aug. 10, 29
Stray Cats: Aug. 6
Day of Discovery-Silent Lake Provincial Park:
Aug 2, 30
Day of Discovery
igh Falls Hike & Lunch: Aug. 9
Day of Discovery -Algonquin Park: Aug. 16
Contact Yours Outdoors (705-)754-3436;
Aug. 12/13 & Oct. 21/22
Sat. 9-4 pm, Sun 9-12 pm
jselbie.com for more information
July 1 - Aug. 22
Aug. 1-4 & Aug. 9-11:
Hilda's Yard -Northern Lights Performing Arts Pavilion (NLPAP)
Open Stage -Jacob Outram -Haliburton Highlands Museum
Aug. 6-8: Three Men in a Boat -
Aug 16: Buffy Sainte-Marie -Haliburton Forest & Wildlife Reserve (HFWR)
Aug. 17: Jimmy Rankin -HFWR
Aug. 18: Stuart Laughton's Radio Dial - HFWR
Aug. 19: Alison Young Quartet -HFWR
Aug. 19: Angel Forrest -HFWR
Aug. 20: The O'Pears - HFWR
Aug. 3, 4, 5: Highlands Opera Studio -Masterclasses -St Georges Anglican Church
Dorset Arts & Crafts Show
Aug. 6 @ 9 am - 2 pm
An Evening With @ Oxtongue Lake Community Centre:
Mike McIntosh Aug. 2
Rick Stronks Aug. 16
Bob & Jean Hilscher Aug. 30
Dorset Scarecrow Contest
Check out the Dorset Rec Calendar events
50 - theHaliburton School of Art + Design Faculty Exhibition 2017
We're celebrating 50 years of art and craft education in Haliburton. This diverse exhibit reflects the varied media and techniques being shared by the HSAD faculty.
Location: Great Hall of the Haliburton School of Art + Design campus
Exhibition Dates: July 4 to August 19, 2017
There's still space in many of our courses and workshops in August! Beginners, experts, hobbyists and professionals - escape on your own or bring family and friends. There's something for everyone. Download our calendar here and feel free to contact us at 1-866-353-6464 ext. 3 with any questions.
297 College Dr.,Haliburton, ON K0M 1S0
705-457-1680 or 1-866-353-6464 ext. 3
If you know someone who would like to receive these listings, please have them forward their contact information to: email@example.com and we will put them on the list.
This information is provided to individuals interested in the arts in Haliburton County. Arts Council ~ Haliburton Highlands members may list news, events, funding, competitions, employment and volunteer opportunities, and services related to the arts in Haliburton County. Submission of materials to be distributed should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Publication of materials will be made at the discretion of the editor.
Although every effort is made to ensure that information is accurately presented, the Arts Council shall not be held responsible for any errors or omissions which may occur. Individuals or organizations who submit information are responsible for the accuracy of the information submitted to the Arts Council for publication. If you wish to removed from this mailing list please click on the SafeUnsubscribe link that appears at the bottom of this newsletter.
Benefits of Membership
As a member of the Arts Council~Haliburton Highlands you receive:
What does the Arts Council do on members' behalf?
- FREE listing of your artist/studio/business/organization details in the Arts Council's online Directory and in the annual printed Arts Directory (25,000+ distribution) with your BRONZE level membership.
- Ability to purchase an enhanced listing in the annual Arts Directory (GOLD & SILVER level memberships).
- Exclusive events listing in monthly newsletter e-blast to approximately 1,000 recipients AND free listing of your events on the Arts Council website.
- Participation in promotional material mailing to Ontario Tourism Centres.
- FREE classified ads in monthly newsletter and on the Arts Council website.
- Ability to purchase your own e-blast to the Arts Council's database ($25 + HST per).
- Access to Arts Council credit card program (7.5% fee on sales) and wine glass rental ($4.20 per dozen + HST).
- Participation in the Artists in the Schools program.
- Use of Arts Council Membership logo on your promotional material.
- A vote at the Arts Council Annual General Meeting.
- Opportunity to be a Featured Artist on the Arts Council web site.
- Access to the Haliburton School of the Arts extensive resource library.
- Paid opportunities to participate/exhibit at Arts Council-sponsored community events.
- Compiles information for members about funding, resources, competitions, requests for proposals for artists and arts organizations and businesses.
- Acts a voice for arts, culture and heritage in Haliburton County. The Arts Council has representation on the Haliburton County Tourism Coalition and is involved in provincial and national arts organizations.
- Provides an information service to the public about the services, skills and products provided by members of the Arts Council. The Arts Council responds to requests for information by the public received by phone, mail or e-mail.
- Facilitates business-to-business connections among Arts Council members
- Collaborates with other organizations to promote the arts, culture and heritage.
If you are interested in donating to the Artists in the Schools program, donors receive a charitable tax receipt. Cheques can be made out to the Friends of the Arts in Haliburton Highlands and mailed to PO Box 931, Haliburton ON K0M 1S0. Alternatively, you may donate via PayPal.