Business News From The City of Frederick, Maryland
August 2019
You're receiving this email because you have expressed an interest in City of Frederick DED. Don't forget to add to your address book so we'll be sure to land in your inbox! 

Frederick is unquestionably one of the best places to work along the eastern seaboard and is evidenced by the 51,345 jobs located here in the City – 46.3% of the 110,884 jobs located in Frederick County. Approximately 60% of the jobs are held by Frederick city/county residents and the remaining 40% are filled from workers across the region. Frederick’s job growth industries include healthcare, production, technology, personal services, and life sciences with niche growth in retail sectors and craft beverage industries. Did you know that nearly 5,700 healthcare and support jobs are located in Frederick at great employers like FMH and healthcare offices across the city. Businesses today are attracted to great communities with talented workforce and Frederick is fortunate to have national recognition for both workforce and placemaking. 

Recently Frederick economic development partners at the city, county, and chamber of commerce recognized our “Best Places To Work” with awards and feature in Frederick Magazine.  Kudos to all the winners. Learn more in this issue of Business ENews and check out the cool things employers are doing to attract and retain their talent.  Frederick is leading the way !

Richard G. Griffin, AICP, CEcD
Director, Economic Development
Congratulations to Frederick County’s 2019 Best Places to Work! —- with a special high-five to our City's own: Jim Bass Group of Real Estate Teams and AstraZeneca, who won top honors in their respective categories.
See full list of award winners here
This year, Frederick County Best Places to Work’s Special Award Category asked: “Who’s Having Fun!?!” Congratulations to this year's “Fun Masters” that are demonstrating outstanding commitment to keeping their employees smiling. Watch the video here.
Finding and retaining capable employees is an integral part of the success of any business. Discover grants & programs available to help create and maintain the skilled workforce your business needs.
Our Partner Spotlight for this month showcases the Frederick chapter of SHRM or Society for Human Resource Management; they are 158 members strong, representing 120 Frederick businesses.  Learn more about how they provide assistance and expertise as well as training to human resources professionals.
The 2020 Comprehensive Plan will guide how Frederick develops, and informs future decisions on zoning & land-use. City planners update the comprehensive plan every 10 years – and now they are looking for your input.

Take the survey here.
Last month, the City received LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council in recognition of 'Outstanding Sustainability Performance.'

Learn more about this City-wide accomplishment and Frederick’s ongoing commitment to community health & resilience.
For entrepreneurs in the food & beverage industry looking to brush up on the "business" part of running a business --School of Food: Frederick is recruiting for its first graduating class! Check out the details here.
Frederick Shell Carwash and Joe Parsley, were honored recently with the Comptroller's Cornerstone Award which recognizes small business for customer service and engagement with the community .

RoosterBio was named a 2019 Best Places to Work. Read more about their award and what they do.

Immersion Active continues to add to its long list of awards and accolades; the most recent being a 2019 Summit Creative Award for website Design.

McClintock Distilling & Baltimore Spirits joined efforts to produce 2 limited-edition gins as a collaborative endeavor. Read more about the products and team efforts.

Hood College Cyber pipeline degree program has won the 2019 National CyberWatch Center's "Innovations in Cyber Education" award. Find out about their program and the award.

Does your business have news to share? Send us a press release and we'll help share that great news locally and regionally. Find out how !
Congratulations to:

  • Scalp DMV - 198 Thomas Johnson Drive, Suite 13
  • Lazy Fish - 10 East Patrick Street (5th anniversary)
  • Make N Music - 7540 N. Market Street (35th anniversary)

If you have a business that has opened, relocated or expanded in the last 3 months, please tell us!
Office Space - 605 N. Bentz Street

820 SF office space in well maintained building with an industrial look and feel. This unit features 3 private offices and a nice reception/waiting area. The building offers several shared amenities such as parking, conference room, kitchenette and rooftop space for entertainment or lunch.
For more information, contact Tony Checcia at 301-471-8669.

To see more available commercial space, visit our website.
City of Frederick | Economic Development | 301-600-6360 |