COVID-19 Supplemental Payments Available to All Project-Based Section 8 Property Owners
The deadline to submit your request is today, August 5!
HUD issued a Memorandum in May with information about the possibility of CARES Act funding being made available to property owners. The CARES Act authorized $1 billion for PBRA. These funds are for "preventing, preparing for, and responding to coronavirus." Part of this funding has been placed on contracts to help cover reduced tenant income that resulted in increased numbers of interim recertifications being processed. Funds were also added to help cover increased vacancy loss claims.
As a follow up to the May Memorandum, late last week, HUD released HUD Notice 2020-08. HUD recognizes that many owners are also incurring additional operational costs to maintain their properties in decent, safe, and sanitary condition when owners have reason to believe that COVID-19 is or may be present in the community. HUD is now making available additional CARES Act funds for supplemental payments to offset recent property expenditures made to combat the effects of COVID-19. This notice provides a mechanism for owners to receive payment that is in addition to amounts available to them under the terms of their current rental assistance contracts.
- HUD will consider requests to reimburse eligible costs incurred between the enactment of the CARES Act on March 27, 2020, and July 31, 2020.
- Only one CSP claim per property can be submitted.
- Owners must submit standard form HUD-52671-E, including the accompanying certifications and signature page. Please refer to the HUD Notice for more details on eligibility and documentation requirements.
- All owners of a Section 8 project that are subject to a HAP Contract administered by a Project-Based Contract Administrator (PBCA) must submit requests to their PBCA.
- Electronic submissions via email are required. Please send your requests to the following mailbox: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All requests must be received by 11:59 p.m. EST on August 5 to be given equal consideration. Requests received after this deadline may be evaluated at HUD's discretion only after all other eligible CSPs have been funded, and in no case will be considered if received after August 12.
NOTE: It is very important to note that if you choose to submit a claim for CSP it must be kept separate from all HAP vouchering processes and you cannot request for payment on the voucher or through TRACS.
Additional Guidance from HUD