|Midway Avenues Newsletter August 23, 2016
September Monthly Membership Luncheon
John Regal, "On the Avenue..."
With all due respect to other business zones (Downtown, Grand Ave, etc.), Regal will demonstrate why University Avenue was, is and will always be the best gauge
of the City's economic vitality. Come see why.
Wednesday, September 21
The Dubliner Pub (come see the new breakfast and lunch menu in the old Bonnie's space)
2162 University Ave. W.
Saint Paul, MN 55104
Thank you to our Presenting Sponsor:
Cybersecurity: Protecting Your Business
in the Digital Age
Learn how to
reduce the threat of a cyber-attack
tools you should have in your cybersecurity toolkit.
In this seminar, you will learn:
Tony Mendoza, Mendoza Law, LLC
Emily Duke, CyberSmart Law
- How can businesses improve their cybersecurity resilience?
- What is needed to set up a security program to cover the entire organization? It's not just IT!
- What policies should you have in your cyber toolkit?
Friday, September 9, 2016
Spruce Tree Conference Room
1600 University Ave.
Saint Paul, MN 55104
Coffee and bagels will be provided.
FREE EVENT- Great for your IT staff members too!
August Monthly Membership Meeting
A packed room heard Jon O'Malley speak on how to recruit the best employees. Special thanks to the Best Western Plus Como Park for hosting, Ally People Solutions for sponsoring and Mama's Pizza for catering! More information on Mama's Pizza and catering can be found
Nonprofit of the Month: Visit Saint Paul
The August Nonprofit of the Month is Visit Saint Paul. Some background on all the work being done by the main tourism organization in town:
- So far in 2016, Saint Paul hosted events for the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, Red Bull Crashed Ice,the Leading Age of MN , Transforming Local Government, National Wellness Institute, SuperValu & the Ryder Cup for a total of 19,640 nights booked in hotels and an economic impact of about $23 million.
- Saint Paul will be home to attendees of the Ryder Cup,the Super Bowl, the NCAA Frozen Four & the NCAA Basketball Final Four.
- Visit Saint Paul has had an increased focus on growing their brand, including a robust social media presence (their Instagram account just surpassed 10,000 followers), a popular Insider's Guide and a new responsive design website.
- Visit Saint Paul also picked up headlines with their recent parody of the Adele song "Hello," inviting those in Minneapolis to come to Saint Paul. It's garnered more than 140,000 views and media coverage from all local outlets.
Visit Saint Paul's Adam Johnson receives an award from Hiway Federal Credit Union's Andrew Deans
470 Hamline Ave.
Saint Paul, MN
Thursday, September 1
Join us as we celebrate and support our local businesses along the Green Line and the entire Midway Community. Every two weeks we visit a restaurant and encourage our membership and the community to take mass transit and join us in our effort to "Keep it green, keep it local."
MN United is coming to the Midway!
Check out Chamber events to learn more
The big news announcement made it official Friday: Minnesota United FC will join the MLS league in 2017. While the team will begin playing at TCF Band Stadium, they plan on moving into the Midway in 2018.
Help welcome the team to the neighborhood and celebrate at our next
Business After Hours!
Minnesota United FC will be on hand with special offers and giveaways.
Thursday, September 15
O'Gara's Bar & Grill
164 Snelling Ave. N.
Thank you to our sponsor and host:
Economic Development Committee
Learn more about Minnesota United's plans and the future Snelling-Midway redevelopment at the Chamber's next Economic Development meeting. This meeting will be a great way to get to know the team and find out how your organization can benefit.
- Dr. Bill McGuire, Owner, MN United FC
- Jonathon Sage-Martinson, Director, Planning & Economic Development, City of Saint Paul
- Sen. John Hoffman
- Saint Paul Port Authority
Tuesday, September 27
11:30 a.m.- 1 p.m.
Midpointe Event Center- Sterling Ballroom
415 Pascal St. N.
Saint Paul, MN 55104
Thanks to our sponsor:
Lunch provided by:
On Saturday, September 17th, John Bennett will generously open his home for his annual backyard BBQ and this man knows how to entertain! It truly is a great evening of friendship, fellowship & food. See you then.
Saturday, September 17, 2016
6 PM-10 PM
John Bennett's Home- hosted by John Bennett- Western Bank
Cost = $29/individual or $50/couple
TASTE! Of Lunch on the Line
Mark your calendars!
Our annual Taste! of Lunch on the Line event is approaching.
Thursday, October 27th
Midpointe Event Center
415 North Pascal Street
St. Paul, MN 55104
This event brings together chamber and commu
nity members to celebrate the diverse and unique restaurants located right in the heart of the Midway.
More details will follow.
Welcome BKV Group
BKV Group is a full-service architecture, engineering, interior design, landscape architecture, & construction administration firm with offices in Minneapolis, MN, Washington, DC, and Chicago, IL. There are located at 222 N. 2nd Street in Minneapolis and can be reached at (612)373- 9136. Learn more about them by visiting their website: www.bkvgroup.com.
Visit Chamber Members at the Fair!
The Minnesota State Fair begins this Thursday, and runs through Labor Day. Whether you're riding the A-Line, parking nearby or taking a shuttle, if you visit the Great Minnesota Get-Together remember to see other Chamber members. The following is a partial list of some of the members you can see at the Fair:
Lions Club (Midway chapter there Sep 4)
Minnesota United FC
Saint Paul Pioneer Press
Saint Paul Saints Baseball Club
(will be there August 30 sharing how they repair and refurbish electronics for resale in the Eco Experience Building)
University of Minnesota
University of St. Thomas
Vision Loss Resources
Visit Saint Paul
If you visit our members, please share on social media!
- First & First LLC
- Metropolitan State University
- Murray Middle School
- Saint Anthony Park Library
- Saint Paul Plumbers Local 34
- University Club of St. Paul
- Wellington Management, Inc.
Welcome New Members: