Midway Avenues Newsletter March 7
The 2017 Economic Development Summit will kick off with a forum of the five mayoral candidates of
Saint Paul, where we will learn more about the candidates' visions for the business community and the Midway. Next, we will have 2 breakout sessions where guests can choose from nine different topics, including access to capital and how to work with the media.
HealthEast President/CEO Kathryn Correia
will speak on
'Anchor Institutions as an Economic Development Engine
The event will conclude with our monthly luncheon and a keynote presentation by
Sunrise Banks CEO David Reiling.
Schedule of the Day
7:30 - 8:00 a.m. - Registration & Light Refreshments
8:00 - 9:00 a.m. - Saint Paul Mayoral Forum
9:15-10:30 a.m. - Breakout Sessions (see below list)
10:45- 11:30 a.m. -
'Anchor Institutions as an Economic Development Engine'
, with HealthEast President/CEO Kathryn Correia
11:30 a.m.- 1:00 p.m.- Monthly Luncheon with David Reiling, CEO, Sunrise Banks
Breakout topics include:
- Access to Capital: crowd-funding, secondary market, selling shares. What are the resources and new tools to raise capital? How does a small business become bankable and get its finance sheet ready for financing?
- Working with the Media: Minnesota Lawyer editor Barb Jones: How do I pitch my story? How do I handle bad news about my company? What are tips for working with reporters if I want to be a source and develop a good relationship?
- Snelling/University: What's on the periphery of the proposed soccer stadium? City Council President and Ward 4 representative Russ Stark and PED Director Jonathan Sage-Martinson will lead.
- Getting to Yes! Understand the processes for partnering with the city to operate and do business in the City of Saint Paul. Session Leaders: Travis Bistodeau and Dan Niziolek, deputy directors, Department of Safety & Inspections.
- 21st Century HR Challenges: Learn how to attract and keep millennial employees, provide opportunities for older workers, and train and engage "second chance" employees and other skilled workers.
- Dynamics of Public-Private Partnerships: Public/private partnerships can be tremendously valuable for community development. The public sector leverages funds, reduces risk for the private sector, and facilitates the development of infrastructure and environment necessary to attract private investment and positive development outcomes. Saint Paul Port Authority President Lee Krueger to present.
- Perceptions of the Midway: Past, Present and Future. When people think of the Midway, what do they think about? What's good, what's bad? John Harrington, chief of Metro Transit police, and Midway Chamber Board member Courtney Henry from McDonalds will lead the discussion.
- Tomorrow's Workforce: Aligning the Business Community with Higher Education. How can these entities work together to prepare and retain our future workers? Mary Rothchild, Minnesota State University System and Tracy Wilson, Saint Paul College, present.
- Content Marketing and Thought Leadership: Finance & Commerce president and publisher Bill Gaier will address how to use content marketing to establish yourself as an expert in your field, a thought leader. He'll cover how to use existing content and how to create and distribute new content via blogs, news sites and social media, as well as how content drives Google search research.
for various ways to engage in the day
Can't make the morning? Please join us for our March Monthly Luncheon.
471 Marion St.
Saint Paul, MN 55103
Thursday, March 16
Join us as we celebrate and support our local businesses . Every two weeks we visit a restaurant along the line and encourage our membership and the community to take transit and join us in our effort to "Keep it green, Keep it local."
Ribbon Cutting: Knoke's Chocolates & Nuts
Join us as we welcome Knoke's Chocolates & Nuts to the Midway Chamber of Commerce! Knoke's opened in downtown Hudson in 2000 and has now expanded to Saint Anthony Park for its second location. Join us on March 16 and see what's made this store so popular. Learn more about Knoke's at their website:
Thursday, March 16
2305 Como Ave.
Saint Paul, MN 55108
Save the Date: Midway on the Fairway Golf Tournament June 9
Join us at Como Golf Course for the
80th Annual Midway Chamber Golf Tournament on June 9. Presented by Warner's Stellian, the tournament sells out fast so watch for registration in the coming months! Sponsorship's are available, so please contact the Chamber office for more information.
|2016 Winning Team Midway Express Car Wash
Prospect Park Properties is a family owned and operated real estate company based in the Prospect Park neighborhood of Minneapolis. Over the last 40 years we have acquired, managed, and developed office, warehouse, retail, hospitality, and residential properties. It is our goal to provide quality service and space at a reasonable price in a friendly and comfortable atmosphere, and to strengthen and enrich our surrounding neighborhoods, by creating vibrant and thriving urban communities.
Prospect Park Properties
2800 University Ave. SE, Suite 204
Minneapolis, MN 55414
The Chamber is Looking for a few good men & women
to join our Ambassador program.
As the public relations arm of the Midway Chamber of Commerce, Ambassadors are often the first contact for new and prospective members & encouraged to select the most effective activities to meet their personal and professional objectives. All of the activities can be conveniently worked into your schedule.
Ambassador Activities Include:
- Attending Ribbon Cuttings for new organizations within the Midway area
- Greeting & registration help at Monthly Membership Luncheons
- Delivering membership packets to new & renewing members
As an Ambassador, you have extensive opportunities to network and get your name out to new and existing members. The following is only a sampling of the ways this is done:
- Recognition on the Midway Chamber's website.
- Profile will be included in the chamber's online newsletter
- Marketing to members by including your business cards or brochures in the membership packets
- Opportunity to be the initial point of contact for new and prospective members at luncheons& events
call the office at 651-646-2636.
It's tax season. Use a Chamber member!
Trying to find an accountant to do your taxes? Ask a Chamber member to help:
Perfetti, Oberg & Horn
Celebrate St. Patrick's Day at a Member!
St. Patrick's Day is a big celebration in Saint Paul, and many of the Chamber members throw big annual bashes. Looking for a place to go? Check out the following members and their events:
Rent Space from the Midway Chamber!
The Midway Chamber's subleasers are moving out & you can move in! Our office includes:
- 1 or 2 private offices
- In-office conference room for 12
- Free access to state of the art conference room which accommodates 50
- Attached covered parking ramp with one parking spot for you
- Wifi, internet, copier
- Storage room
- Workout facilities for an additional $25/ year
- We are conveniently located at the corner of Snelling & University, just steps away from light rail & various bus routes
- Contact Chad at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
Do you have news to share? Let us know!
Thank You New Members!
- Dual Citizen Brewing Company
Thank You Renewing Members!
-The Dubliner Pub
- St. Paul Police Federation
- Suntide Commercial Realty
- Thrivent Financial- St. Paul Zone