‘’THE BRICK HOUSE” 214 SOUTH MAIN STREET, MANSFIELD, PENNA. 16933
RESIDENCE OF HOMER AND NAOMI GALLIHER (Now Mary Robinson-Slabey)
Built in 1922 by Glenn and Harriet Gilette, of Federal design on a poured concrete foundation. Glenn was a well-known insurance agent in the Mansfield area. The home was sold by Gillettes to Dr. And Mrs. Meeker, who owned a hospital over Garrison’s store. The Meekers lived here for many years with their family, and to this day, the home is often referred to as “The Meeker House”, or the The Brick House.
The Meekers sold the house to Tony Billard, an industrialist, who owned Auto Precision in Covington.
Dr. Earley and his wife bought the home from the Billards. Even though they lived here only a short time, it was known as a good-place for a party, square dancing in the living room, and good time for all ! Dr. Earley was a MSC professor.
The home was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Silcox who owned it for only a short time. They sold to Mr. and Mrs. Hitchins. Mr. Hitchins was a retired attorney, and furnished the house with valuable antiques.
Because of ill health, Mrs. Hitchins sold the home to Homer and Naomi Galliher in 1971. The Gallihers are both Virginians by birth, and loved the architecture, and found it to be reminiscent of the south. The home is furnished predominantly with traditional furnishings.
The Galliher family is the 7th family to occupy the house.
Update by Joyce: Mary and Ted Robinson-Slabey bought the house from the Gallihers in 1985. Mary still lives there, and the house is presently for sale. It will be a century old next year.