Special Alert: Upcoming Protests in Capitol Hill
The Capitol Hill Chamber of Commerce has learned of two planned protests this weekend. While we hope that these protests will remain peaceful, organizers of the Saturday night protest have indicated a more aggressive tone and we want you to be prepared. Here is what we know:
Saturday November 19th, "No Trump, No Cops, No KKK" at 10 p.m at Cal Anderson Park. We do not know how many to expect, but given the title of the gathering, there is a possibility that participants will march around, possibly to downtown.
Sunday, November 20th, "Dump the Trump" at 6 p.m. at Seattle Central College. We expect this to be a well-attended event; there is a high likelihood the group will march around Capitol Hill and then downtown.
The first amendment of the US Bill of Rights guarantees the right to peaceably gather and protest, and Seattle residents have a long history of protesting injustice through peaceful actions. However, a group of individuals have often infiltrated these protests over the past few years who have less than peaceful intentions.
Please call 9-1-1 immediately if you observe any signs of property damage or aggressive behavior that makes you, your residents, or employees concerned for their safety.
We can all take actions to ensure people and property are safe:
- Tune-in to local media channels and social media accounts to stay informed about the protest to ensure you are aware of activities that may occur near and around you - we recommend subscribing to SPD's Tweets by Beat http://www.seattle.gov/police/tweets/ and the CHS Blog.
- Call early and call often if you see anything suspicious.
- Know where fire extinguishers and fire exits are located in your business, home and building.
- Watch for suspicious activity and call 911 if you see anything suspicious.
- Remove outdoor fixtures such as flower pots, chairs, table and signs.
- Consider closing your windows if you hear reports of tear gas or flash bombs being used near your work place or home.
- Record and/or save any video from the day in case law enforcement contact you about suspicious or dangerous activities.
Holiday Window Murals on Broadway!
The Holiday Season is just around the corner! Help us transform Broadway into a festive holiday shopping hub in December by hosting a painted mural window in your storefront. First come, first serve - email
Recology- Clean and Safe Collection
Fall means shorter, rainier days and lots and lots of leaves on the ground. Our cleaning service is working hard to keep our sidewalks and gutters clear of falling leaves. Meanwhile we have seen a significant rise in graffiti and posters in the neighborhood, and we are working to ensure they are removed or covered in a timely fashion. If you see graffiti on Broadway, please report it to
customer service 24/7 at
to ensure it is prioritized.
Let's take a look at the current Broadway Ave clean-up service report:
Public Safety Resources
If you see someone in non-emergency distress, the
Capitol Hill Metropolitan Improvement District Outreach (MID)
team operates from 7:30 AM-6:00 PM. Contact
Jackie St Louis
at (206) 973-1835.
See litter, illegal dumping, graffiti or sharps? Download the
Find it Fix it app
This app is a new platform to report a variety of issues to the City of Seattle. It is available for
Need to report a crime? The
Seattle Police Department is here to help:
- Emergencies: If you have just seen or experienced a crime, or one is in progress, call 9-1-1 immediately.
- Non-emergencies: If the crime happened a while ago and there is no direct danger to you or another person, please call the police non-emergency line at (206) 625-5011 or submit a report online.
- Follow SPD Tweets by Beat to receive updates in your "beat."
Smell smoke or need to report a fire?
The mission of the
Seattle Fire Department is to save lives and protect property:
- To report a fire, smoke, or other emergency, call 9-1-1 immediately.
- For non-emergencies and general SFD inquiries call (206) 386-1400.
Need to hire extra security staff for your event? MacGregor Event Staffing offers professional security for bars, nightclubs, restaurants, festivals, concerts, parties, weddings and events. Contact Cameron Black at (206) 697-3245.
If you would like to connect with the Broadway BIA or have questions or comments, please contact us at