The property at 220 South Main Street in Mansfield, PA is reflected in the photo. The house was built in 1930, and has 3 bedrooms and 1.5 baths. The basement has concrete walls and is partially finished. The attic has been used as a 4th bedroom in the past. The house has 2,148 square feet, and is heated by gas. The property is .68 acres.
As of August, 2021, the house has had two owners in its 91 year history, the Manser family, and since the 1940’s, the Lynch family.
The house was built in 1930 by Herbert T. Manser (1892-1955) and Agnes McCausland Manser (1907-1999). Herbert spent a portion of his early years in France, and received his A.B. and M.A. degrees from Columbia University. He was a Professor of French, and Dean of Instruction, at Mansfield State Teachers College. He was also Chief Air Raid instructor for the Mansfield area during World War II. Manser dining hall on the college campus was dedicated to Herbert in 1969.
Agnes graduated Valedictorian of Mansfield High, Class of 1925. She attended Duke University and graduated from Mansfield State Normal School. Agnes and Herbert married in 1932. They had one daughter, Hope C. Manser (later Hope C. Garner of Columbus, Ohio). Agnes’ father was William McCausland, a prominent Mansfield businessman and a trustee of Mansfield State Teachers College. He lived with the Manser family in his later years and died at 220 South Main in 1936. His Presbyterian funeral services were held at 220 South Main. After Herbert’s passing, Agnes married George Dyer of Mansfield, who passed in 1984.
Dr. Raymond James Lynch (1900-1995) purchased the house and property at 220 South Main in the 1940’s. He was the youngest of seven children of Patrick and Catherine Hourihan Lynch, and was born and raised on the family farm in Overshot, Bradford County, PA. He graduated from Luthers Mills High School in 1918 and was Salutatorian of the Class of 1923 of the School of Veterinary Medicine of the University of Pennsylvania. He purchased 220 South Main prior to his 1947 marriage to Mary Teresa Cowley Lynch (1913-1999).
Mary was born in California, PA, and was raised in Marshview, Bradford County, PA, along with her brother Charles, by their parents, Charles F. Cowley and Margaret Barrett Cowley. Mary graduated from St. Agnes High School in Towanda, PA and from College Misericordia in Dallas, PA. She taught high school in Sayre, PA before marriage.
Raymond and Mary Lynch had three children, Robert R. (1949- ), Patrick J. (1952- ) and Richard E. (1954-2015), all raised at 220 South Main.