Dear Hotel Community,
We're pleased to come out of another week with more wins for the industry, including the update on commercial rent relief through the Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance program from the federal Government.
As each province begins to look at slowly re-opening the economy, we must continue to engage with municipalities, the province and federal Government to secure a stimulus package for our industry. We're continuing to pursue property tax relief and have begun to see various municipalities implement flexibility, such as:
- City of Victoria - There will be no property tax increase this year for residential or commercial ratepayers. The deadline to pay property taxes will be extended to August 4, with a reduced penalty put in place for late payment.
- City of Kelowna - The 10% penalty for late payment has been deferred from July 2 to September 1, 2020. Customers on monthly payment plans (PAWS) can request auto-withdrawals be put on hold starting April 7 until August 31, 2020.
- City of Kamloops - The planned property tax increase for 2020 has been reduced from 3% to 2.3%.
- District of Saanich - The planned property tax increase for 2020 has been reduced from 3.74% to 2.4%.
- District of Summerland - July 3, 2020 → September 4, 2020. Penalties for late payment postponed until October 1, 2020.
We will continue advocating for more municipalities to follow suit, and for the provincial government to offer financial relief for property taxes in the form of liquidity.
Meanwhile, we are also preparing a recovery and resiliency package for the hotel industry as the province looks at re-opening our economy. This package will be a guide for properties on best practices and protocols on how to begin welcoming guests, and adapt to the new normal. We anticipate having this ready in the coming weeks.
In the below communication you'll find updates on:
- HAC Economic Relief Guide for Hoteliers
- Update on BC Hydro commercial relief
- Rent relief update for small business
Wishing you all the best.
President & CEO
BC Hotel Association