Dear Residents, Property Owners and Friends:
The following message includes an update on Hurricane Dorian and important information regarding the Village's State of Emergency declaration (including a voluntary evacuation order), the Code Red notification system, and transportation.
Hurricane Dorian Update
Key points from the National Weather Service (NWS), Wilmington, NC briefing from 7:30 a.m. today:
- Currently Hurricane Dorian is nearly stationary over Grand Bahamas with winds of 165mph.
- Hurricane Dorian is still expected to move up the coast and skirt the coast.
- NWS is waiting for the northerly turn to see more regarding the track.
- Increasing rough surf today.
- Rainfall has been increased from moderate to high (5-10inches with isolated 15 inches...this will depend on the track).
- Track confidence is increasing to a moderate level. Earliest arrival is now Wednesday morning.
- Most likely arrival (for NC) approximately 6 a.m. on Thursday.
State of Emergency Declared - Voluntary Evacuation Ordered
Mayor Sayre has proclaimed a State of Emergency for the Village of Bald Head Island effective
9:00 a.m. this morning September 2, 2019. This proclamation includes a voluntary evacuation of the Village of Bald Head Island and orders all Non-Resident Visitors to evacuate the Village effective immediately.
The Village of Bald Head Island utilizes an emergency notification system in cooperation with Brunswick County known as
Village of Bald Head Island citizens can register
to receive emergency messaging and updates about specific events (i.e. hurricanes and/or tropical storms). This system will be used in addition to the Village's Voice to send important messages via phone, email, and text. Registrants can choose which methods of contact they prefer. The Village will begin using this notification system in addition to the Village's Voice emails beginning with the State of Emergency declaration.
Bald Head Island Transportation, Inc.'s latest report, from 11:37 a.m. yesterday indicated that ferry service will likely be impacted beginning Wednesday afternoon and probably all day on Thursday. These are only estimates and it could be earlier or later depending on how safe conditions remain. For the most up-to-date ferry schedule information you can visit their website at
and go to the "General Information" tab then click "Announcements." If there are any significant changes made today, the Village will add this information to the next Village's Voice.
The Village will continue to inform you on the progress of this storm until its impacts no longer affect Bald Head Island.
Carin Z. Faulkner
Village Public Information Officer
(910) 457-9700 ext. 1025