1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 cup onion, finley diced
1/2 cup orange bell pepper, small dice
1 cup sweet
potato, small dice
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp turmeric
2/1/4 cups water, or stock of your choice
1 cup wild rice medley, (can be substituted with brown or red rice)
1/2 cup scallions, sliced
1. pre-heat a 41/2 quart covered sauce pan to medium high - add oil quickly followed by the garlic, onions, bell peppers, sweet potato and black beans. sauce for 2 to 3 minutes
2. Add salt, turmeric, water or stock and rice, stir and bring to a boil.
3. reduce the heat to low and cover. simmer 40 to 50 minutes.
4. remove from heat. allow the rice to rest 10 minutes covered.
5. stir in the scallions and serve.
Beta Carotene 2,339 mg
vitamin C 57% DV
vitamin E 6% DV
courtesy of Sandra Young, OD
author: Visionary Kitchen: A Cookbook for Eye HealthBooks are available for purchase at