The PSAT is a two-hour test given once a year in October. Many students take the PSAT, not only as preparation for the SAT taken in senior year, and widely used as a major criterion for college admissions, but also to qualify for the National Merit Scholarship Competition.
The most common reasons for taking the PSAT/NMSQT are:
- To receive feedback on your strengths and weaknesses on skills necessary for college study. You can then focus your preparation on those areas that could most benefit from additional study or practice.
- To see how your performance on an admissions test might compare with that of others applying to college.
- To enter the competition for scholarships from the National Merit Scholarship Corporation (grade 11).
- To help prepare for the SAT. You can become familiar with the kinds of questions and the exact directions you will see on the SAT.
- To receive information from colleges when you check "yes" to Student Search Service.
There is a $15 fee that MUST be turned in by Friday, October 14th to take the PSAT. The test is Wednesday October 19th starting at 7:45AM.
On October 12, Badger will hold a FAFSA information night. All are welcome to come and get information on filling out the FAFSA application. A representative will be available to explain the process and answer questions about the application. Students may begin filling out the FAFSA on October 1st!
There are many college representatives visiting Badger this Fall. Listen to announcements or check the counseling webpage to see what schools will be here and when so you don't miss your chance to meet with them and get your questions answered! Remember to get a pass from Mrs. Ott before coming.
Do you need a Work Permit?
A work permit is required before anyone under the age of 18 is allowed to work in any job with the exception of agriculture or domestic service work. You can get your work permit from Mrs. Ott in the Counseling Center. To obtain a work permit, you will need the following:
$10.00 cash (NO CHECKS, NO CHANGE MADE)
Social Security Card only
A hiring statement (letter) from your employer
If Mrs. Ott is not available, you can get a work permit from the Lake Geneva City Hall. They are open from 8:30am until 4:30pm.