As my email confirmed yesterday, Health Clubs are not included in the Emergency Proclamation issued from the City of Portland. I am in close contact with the City Manager's office and will abide by future mandates, but at this point, they are only making recommendations.
I have had many positive responses to our efforts to stay open, but just recently received a few from members in the health field that we are only adding to the problem. If I were still holding classes and had 50 people in here at a time, I would agree, but we are not. In my 20 years at Bay Club, this is, of course, my most difficult decision.
Until further notice from the city, and it could change as soon as tomorrow, Bay Club, like Planet Fitness will remain open regular hours under the following guidelines:
- All group fitness classes cancelled.
- Virtual Spin is available on demand...just ask when you get here.
- Steam and Sauna will remain off.
- Upon entering, take a key and then drop in the disinfectant bucket at the front desk on your way out.
- Clean purple towels and paper towels are on the fitness desk for wiping down your equipment. Throw towels in hamper afterwards - don't leave on the bottles.
- Please make extra effort to keep that 6 feet of social distance and continue to clean machines before and after.
On a personal note, I'm in this business because I care about the health of our society, mentally and physically. I am choosing to stay open because we have 15,000 square feet of space that members can use safely to release stress, and perhaps share a smile with someone across the room - we are only getting 5 people an hour or so - not many. While none of us can stop this virus, I believe we are making a small but valuable contribution to the mental and physical well being of our members.
Lastly, if I voluntarily close Bay Club at this time, I can say with some certainty, we would not be open in the future when all is back to normal. If there is a mandate, Bay Club is protected from some of the liability and would have a better chance to open our doors along with others.
Please continue to share your thoughts and concerns.
In Health -trace
Previous emails below:
Communications Director for the City and it states:
"Please recommend they read the full news release, which has the proclamation linked in it.
If they have additional questions, please let them know:
This does not apply to office buildings, salons, gas stations, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc. We encourage businesses to allow working from home where possible, but this proclamation applies to restaurants, bars, movie theaters, museums, dance clubs and music venues.
Gyms and fitness studios are only a recommendation in the proclamation. They are not included in the curfew."
We will be open tomorrow. The only adjustment I may make later in the week, is to close early.
Happy St. Patricks Day - :(
16/20 Healthy Measures Update: (Last week email below in case you missed it).
After the first week of ever changing, unprecedented times, I want to share with you what I am noticing here and what other precautions we are taking at this point.
- Steam Room will be down until further notice since germs typically love humidity.
- The sauna will stay on since it is dry heat unless I learn that it should also be off. Please share any articles you have supporting either.
- If you have been here, you have seen all the extra cleaning and sanitizing in process on ALL fitness equipment as well as functional training items, doors, balls etc....if you see something that we may have overlooked, don't hesitate to mention.
- There is a sanitizing station at the front door of the lobby. Please use upon entering and leaving.
- Paper towels are at the fitness desk to use for wiping down the machines if you prefer in lieu of using the purple towels.
- I am seeing members keep "social distance," as well as wipe down equipment before and after use.
- Group Fitness Classes have been changed to allow 10 people max. We will run as many classes as possible following the guidelines. We will add bodypump on Thursdays at 12:30 if there is a demand.
- On the other end of the spectrum, we will cancel classes 2 hours before class only if no one is signed up. I am waiving the minimum of 3 in class since numbers will be lower across the board.
- Per usual, please sign up for class and if you have any issues, give us a call to add you to the list.
- As most of you know, many of our fabulous instructors are parents, therefore some classes are canceled until school is back in session. Keep a close eye on the schedule!
As a final note, I am planning to keep the club open until there is a Government shutdown and will continue to send updates.
Take good care. -trace
Email sent last week.
Certainly we are all feeling a bit shocked and anxious with the growing Coronavirus pandemic. I want to take a moment to reaffirm Bay Club's commitment to elevate our cleaning and disinfecting processes, as well as ask a few requests of you.
We have always provided bottles of
Enviroxclean disinfectant around the club and have just doubled the number of bottles available.
- H2Orange is a premium, patented original formula that combines cold-pressed Orange Oil and hydrogen peroxide to clean, deodorize, degrease and sanitize any water-safe surface.
- Sanitizer: Kills 99.99% of common bacteria (Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella enterica, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Streptococcus faecalis, and Escherichia coli).
- Virucide* Kills 99.9% specified viruses (Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2, Influenza A2/Japan and HIV-1).
The purple towels are washed with bleach and are now being changed twice daily. There will also be a pile on the fitness desk if you feel you want to change out a specific bottle that you are using.
We also have one of the best hand sanitizers on the market and have plenty of inventory. Microsan™ Foaming Hand Sanitizer from Global Biotechnologies.
- When you apply the Microsan RX® Hand Sanitizer, you give your hands a "Glove of Protection" that will continue to kill disease causing bacteria and viruses for the next 2-4 hours.
- It has been proven to kill 99.999% of over 100 yeast, mold, bacteria and viruses in as little as 30 seconds. Its broad-spectrum germ killing power kills bacteria, yeast, fungi and viruses and demonstrates residual protection, as defined by the FDA, making your hands cleaner, with healthier and softer skin with repeated use.
- No water required for effective anti-bacterial control.
- Kills 99.99% of the susceptible organisms on the skin in as little as 30 seconds.
Our commercial cleaners will use a more concentrated solution in the locker rooms and on the equipment, and you will see staff around doing extra cleaning projects throughout the day. Our mission is to always promote health so this situation will just call for a more intense elevation of our daily processes.
- Keep in mind that Influenza is still prevalent and warrants the same measures taken for the Coronavirus.
- Please wipe down all equipment before and after use.
- Use hand sanitizers before you begin and before you leave.
- Cough and sneeze in to your elbow.
- If you feel well, please continue your workouts to maintain your healthy immune system.
- Please stay home if you do not feel well.
If you haven't visited CDC for recommendations, click below.
Stay Well, In Health - trace