Dear St. Serra Parents,
One of our most important priorities at St. Serra school is to ensure the safety and well-being of our students, your children. In light of all of the recent school violence across the country we are proactively securing our campus and preparing safety measures for the upcoming school year.
This includes securing the school’s entrance in the main office, upgrading our security cameras, and limiting the visibility into our school campus.
We need your help!
We want to take safety at St Serra to the highest level by hiring an armed security guard for the 2022-23 school year, but the cost of adding this position is not in the 2022-23 school budget. Therefore, we are launching the Be Serra Safe campaign to raise the necessary funds to achieve this top level of campus security. I realize that this is another ‘ask’ of our families, but after the violent incident at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, we had had many families reach out indicating that they would help support this cause. We hope you will join them!
Let’s Be Serra Safe!
St. Serra’s security guard will be at the center of all school safety initiatives including:
- Being an armed presence to deter a violent offender
- Leading parent education courses on internet safety, drugs and alcohol, bullying, and other topics that can assist you as you navigate your child’s journey through childhood and adolescence.
- Serving as point person for our Consultative School Board’s Safety Committee, meeting and collaborating with parents from our community.
- Acting as Emergency Preparedness Coordinator at Serra, conducting regular safety drills on campus and ensuring that we have the proper procedures and necessary equipment to act in an emergency situation.
We recognize that there may be some families who disagree with having an armed individual at school and we understand that concern. It is important that we hire the correct and best person for this position. Here are some of the requirements that we will look for when hiring:
- Extensive background check on potential candidates ensuring that the candidate is/was in good standing with their law enforcement agency.
- Firearms licensing and training are and will remain current. ·
- Previous experience working in Law Enforcement
- Experience working in schools as a School Resource Officer
- Ability to develop positive relationships with students, staff and parents.
You can make a difference!
We take your children’s safety very seriously and we know you do too. We hope that you will join us in our effort to Be Serra Safe by making a tax deductible gift to this very important cause. We can’t do this without your participation!
If you would like to give by check, or if you would like to learn more about donating stocks or securities, please contact Allison Hibbs, Director of Advancement, at email@example.com.