Reports of scammers leveraging the COVID-19 pandemic to steal money and personal information (or both) have recently come in to the FBI and other law enforcement agencies. You can help protect yourself by doing some research before clicking on links in your emails and not opening emails from addresses that you do not recognize.
Take extra precautions before:
- Donating to a charity online or through social media.
- Contributing to a crowdfunding campaign.
- Purchasing products online, especially products that claim to prevent, treat, diagnose, or cure COVID-19; or Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and sanitizing products, as counterfeit products have been reported.
- Giving up your personal information to receive money or other benefits.
- Opening websites, emails or apps claiming to provide information on the virus or track COVID-19 cases worldwide.
- Opening emails asking you to verify your personal information to receive an economic stimulus check from the government.
Counterfeit products can be reported at the FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center at
and to the National Intellectual Property Rights Coordination at