Be prepared for school cancellations
There are times when weather conditions cause us to cancel school for the safety of our 25,000 students. We understand cancelling school can create difficulties for families, and we do not make the decision lightly.
How is the decision made to cancel school due to bad weather?
A number of factors are considered when deciding whether to cancel school including: the condition of area roads; school safety issues, such as parking lots, sidewalks and roofs; bus fleet condition and weather forecast.
When and how is the decision announced?
Every effort is made to make the decision by 5 a.m.
- The decision is announced immediately via SPS Twitter and Facebook accounts, district website and local news media.
- Parents who receive our weekly e-newsletter will receive an email alert. Click here to sign-up for the e-newsletter.
- Individuals who have signed up to receive information via automated phone calls will receive a telephone message around 6 a.m. If you have not signed up to receive messages from the district by phone or if you need to update your contact numbers, complete the Connect 5 form and submit it to your child's school.
- You may call the school closing line at 523-0110.
Please do not rely solely on one method of notification. At times, in extreme weather conditions, internet access or telephone service may be disrupted preventing or delaying the use of some communication channels.
- Develop a snow day plan so you are prepared when the announcement is made. Identify possible caregivers in advance so they can help on short notice.
- If your regular bus is 30 minutes late, contact the district transportation department at 523-0500.
- Parents are in the best position to make decisions about the safety of their children and may decide to keep their children home when school has not been canceled. Please notify the school office of your decision with the understanding that they will be counted absent.
- On days school is canceled, before- and after-school programs held in SPS facilities are also canceled. Contact the YMCA or the
- Updates on cancellations for school activities (athletic events, practices, programs, etc.) can be found on the district website.
- SPS has six inclement weather days built in to the school calendar. If it is necessary to adjust the last day of school due to weather cancellations, that date will be announced in late spring.
Prevent exposure to the elements
- Dress appropriately for the weather. Wear layers of clothing, such as a T-shirt under a sweatshirt. Wear a warm coat for an outer layer.
- Prevent heat loss and protect skin by wearing a hat, scarf and gloves. Remember to wear warm socks and weather resistant shoes or boots.
- Change clothing if it becomes wet.
- Get plenty of rest and eat a hot meal before school.
Learn more tips from the National Weather Service about preventing hypothermia and frostbite.