Because of you, we CELEBRATE!
We launched two food drive opportunities last week and many of our long time supporters and many new faces have jumped in with great enthusiasm - safely collecting food for our Guests in their communities - we are so grateful!
The first is
, where individuals rally & organize neighbors and friends, pick up groceries from their porches and deliver them to the Food Pantry. The second is,
“Pop Your Trunk”
where your organization arranges to have the Lazarus House Truck come to a designated drop-off area, and your members/employees fill it with donations.
On another, yet related, note, we celebrate that our Community Resource Specialist, Miguel, is swimming in a "Sea of Diapers", which we understand for most would not be a good thing! At Lazarus House, however, it means that the generosity of our FaceBook and Online Community has exploded and the moms in our programs and those who are visiting the soup kitchen and pantry will have diapers, wipes and snacks for their littles! #CommunityAlwaysWins
And, as a matter of update ...
This week our Soup Kitchen stabilized their staffing by creating two cook teams that will alternate days to deepen our bench against COVID-19. Hot, nutritious take-out meals will be served for breakfast and lunch Monday through Saturday.
Our Guests are doing well in the shelter that the City of Lawrence operates in the Doubletree Hotel in Andover. We continue to provide case management and help the city in supplying items for all Guests as we are able.
The Food Pantry was in operation on Wednesday, providing bags of groceries to 770 Guests using a “grab and go” system
We have designed our food drives to supplement the food that we receive from the Merrimack Valley Food Bank; we are grateful for our partnership with them!
Temporary Program Changes:
- The Shelter has moved our Guests to a quarantine facility (Doubletree Hotel in Andover) run by the city where families can shelter in their rooms, thus offering an improved option for preventing the spread of the virus
- Soup Kitchen continues using a “meals to go” system Monday to Friday.
- Food Pantry continues Wednesday distribution of groceries in a “groceries to go” format.
- We have closed our Thrift Stores until further notice.
- We have closed our Sewing and Culinary Arts classes are until further notice.
- We have suspended our crucial Volunteer Program until further notice.
- Lazarus House leaders continue to make necessary changes, as recommended by the State of Massachusetts and the CDC, to the way we serve, sanitize facilities, use personal protective gear, and operate. We are keeping safety for all at the forefront of our minds and actions.
Thank you so much. It truly is overwhelming to be on the receiving end of your selfless support, encouraging calls and emails and your beautiful hearts for people struggling with material poverty and homelessness.