- John R. Lumpkin, MD, MPH will serve as President of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Foundation, starting April 22. Lumpkin most recently served as Senior Vice President, Programs for the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF). Before joining RWJF in 2003, Lumpkin served as director of the Illinois Department of Public Health for 12 years.
Lumpkin has an impressive career in the health care system - from practicing emergency medicine and teaching medical students, to leading improvements to programs dealing with emergency and bioterrorism preparedness, infectious disease prevention and control, immunization, supporting local health departments, reducing childhood obesity, and more.
Lumpkin earned his MD and BMS degrees from Northwestern University Medical School and his MPH from the University of Illinois School of Public Health. He was the first African-American trained in emergency medicine in the country after completing his residency at the University of Chicago. He has served on the faculty of the University of Chicago, Northwestern University, and University of Illinois at Chicago.
"We are thrilled to have John Lumpkin lead the Blue Cross NC Foundation. A barrier-breaker and nationally-renowned leader in the health care field with significant state and community-based expertise, he has the experience and passion to lead the Blue Cross NC Foundation's work to improve the health and well-being of North Carolinians," said Patrick Conway, MD, CEO of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina, and Blue Cross NC Foundation Chairman. "Dr. Lumpkin is committed to traveling around North Carolina and learning how best to serve the state and its communities."
The Blue Cross NC Foundation seeks to increase health equity and improve health outcomes in North Carolina communities by:
* Transforming the health care system, including oral health
* Expanding access to healthy food
* Supporting a healthy start for children
* Improving the places where people live
* Strengthening the ability of communities to improve their own health
"For the last 16 years, John Lumpkin has been an integral part of our foundation and our culture," said RWJF President and CEO Rich Besser. "He's been a knowledgeable and approachable leader and teacher - the kind of man who is passionate about the serious work of improving health and health care, with a keen sense of humor that helps him connect with all of his colleagues. I will miss him greatly and I wish him all the best in his exciting new position."