Student Teaching Agreement with Grand Canyon University
The district partners with various universities to provide opportunities for student teaching experience. A new affiliation agreement with Grand Canyon University was approved for students participating in the school's online program.
School Readiness Grant Funding for 2017-2020
The Board approved an agreement with the Children and Families Commission of Orange County for receipt of $281,325 in ongoing School Readiness grant funding for the period July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2020. The district has partnered with the Commission since 2000 to ensure young children in the Cypress community are healthy and ready to learn.
Use of Cawthon and Swain School Sites
License to Use Agreements for the district's Cawthon and Swain school sites were renewed for the period July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018, as follows:
- Grace Christian School - $341.612.76 for use of the entire Cawthon site
- Cypress Recreation & Park District - $7,520.04 for use of a portion of the Swain site
- Apple Tree Early Intervention Center - $38,052.36 for use of a portion of the Swain site
- Wisdom Mission School and Chapel - $96,966.72 for use of a portion of the Swain site
By-Trustee Area Elections
As part of the process of moving from at-large elections to by-trustee area elections, the Board held a second public hearing on three draft maps under consideration prior to making a final selection. No speakers addressed the Board on this matter. The Board subsequently adopted a resolution indicating its selection of
and the corresponding sequence of elections.
Reduction in Classified Service
Due to a forecasted decrease in enrollment of students requiring special education services in the 2017/18 school year, the Board adopted a resolution authorizing the elimination of two 3.75-hour and one 3.5-hour Instructional Aide/Special Education positions effective July 14, 2017.
The Board approved contracting for the following teacher professional development during the 2017/18 school year:
- Next Generation Science Standards by the Orange County Department of Education at a cost of $2,400
- STEM workshops by the Tiger Woods Foundation at a cost of $1,600
- Write from the Beginning and Beyond training by Thinking Maps, Inc. at a cost of $2,250
Temporary Speech-Language Pathologist
To ensure that student needs continue to be met during a leave of absence of the Luther Speech-Language Pathologist, the Board approved contracting with Speech & Language Premiere Staffing, Inc., to temporarily fill the position for the remainder of the 2016/17 school year at a maximum cost of $32,000.
The Board approved filing notices of completion for the following construction projects:
- Landell STEM 500 Building Modernization E-Rate Project by ICS Services, Inc. - Final cost $24,863.86
- Cawthon Daycare Painting and Cawthon/Swain Roofing Project by M.P. South - Final Cost $108,333.16
- Low Voltage Work for the Landell STEM 500 Building Renovation Project by ICS Services, Inc. - Final Cost $47,974.80
The Board also approved an additive change order for the Landell STEM 500 Building Renovation Project by M.P. South to include replacement of obsolete, inefficient lighting in the original brick buildings, extending the original construction schedule by 63 days and increasing the project cost by $42,794.93.
Playground Repaving at Arnold and Vessels
The Board authorized use of an existing maintenance/construction unit price bid master agreement with M.P. South for repaving of the playground areas at Arnold and Vessels at a cost of $175,597.30.
School Facility Program
The Board adopted two resolutions which will allow the district to apply for matching funds from the state's School Facility Program for new construction projects, including the recent STEM modernization project at Landell.
2016/17 Education Protection Account
Funds generated by Proposition 30, the temporary tax increase passed in 2012, are deposited in a state Education Protection Account. Districts must annually report how their EPA funds will be used. At the May meeting, the Board adopted Resolution 167-19 approving the district's Spending Determination of the Education Protection Account for 2016/17. The resolution and accounting of the district's 2016/17 funding plan can be viewed
Request for Proposals Regarding a Portion of the District Office Property
The Board adopted Resolution No. 167-20, establishing its intent to consider proposals for exchange of a portion of the District Office property and authorizing distribution of a Request for Proposals.
Comprehensive School Safety Plans
In accordance with Board Policy 0450, the Board approved the 2016/17 Comprehensive School Safety Plan for each of the district's six schools. The plans are available on the
and may also be accessed from each school's website.
Revisions to 2017 Board Meeting Schedule
Due to calendar conflicts, the Board approved changing the time of the July 27 meeting from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and moving the November 9 meeting to November 13 at 7:00 p.m.
The schedule for the remainder of 2017 is as follows:
- Thursday, June 8, 2017, 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, June 15, 2017, 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, July 27, 2017, 4:00 p.m.
- Thursday, August 10, 2017, 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, October 12, 2017, 7:00 p.m.
- Monday, November 13, 2017, 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, December 14, 2017, 7:00 p.m.